VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 91 gti 8v and i would like to drop a 16v in it, the donor looks to be a 92 passat what will i need besides the engine and the tranny? thanx

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Re: what do i need for a 2.0L 16v swap??? (digitaldub)

well depends on what you want to do...
for JUST the engine, you'll need the exhaust and intake manifolds and the engine. You may also want to convert to motronic fuel system in which case you'll need the wiring harness, ecu, knock sensors, o2 sensor, knock box, air/fuel meter, mfa, fuel lines, injectors, and vaccuum system.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: what do i need for a 2.0L 16v swap??? (Mbiggy)

thanx buddy, does anyone else have nething to add to this?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

the easiest way to do it would be to buy a fuel rail from http://www.rossmachineracing.com , and set your digi injection up on the 16v. That way, you won't have a nasty wiring mess. VERY easy...I'll find you the site that has a "how to" digi 16v.
BTW, motronic is sensitive and it sucks. If you REALLLLY want it tho, you can buy all my stuff!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: what do i need for a 2.0L 16v swap??? (cnbrown)

i was under the inpression that if i got everythig from a 92 passat it would work?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Re: what do i need for a 2.0L 16v swap??? (GLIJetta90)

you are very right, everything WILL work, but why take the trouble of swapping in motronic injection/ecu/harness anyway? It isnt worth your time, TRUST ME... http://dhociung.www2.onlink.net/home.htm <----this link here is what i am talkin about. He utilizes his digi 2 injection. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

92 passat, 91 -92 16v Gti and GLi
digi-2
:
cis-e

motronic

digi-1

Stand alone

Modified by Mbiggy at 1:02 AM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: what do i need for a 2.0L 16v swap??? (Mbiggy)

i am really confused with this fuel system thingy, so u guys are saying that i should not swap a passat 16v?, or if i do there will be a problem? all i would really like to know is if i take my 92 passat 16v and i take the engine and swap it in, would i have all the things left over in the passat for a complet swap? ALSO i do plan on getting the EIP tuning turbo set up next year, would there be any conflicts with the turbo and this engine?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

ok...Basically, you have a digifant 2 fuel injection in/on your car now. The passat 16v runs off of motronic fuel injection. I am telling you that to swap in a motronic setup, you are causing a bigger headache than you need.
if you ran motronic FI you would basically need EVERYTHING off of that car, and it simply isnt worth your time.
Keep your digi 2 fuel injection, and run it on the 16v...this may be sounding more difficult than it really is. The only thing you will need to "change" is your motor and transmission.
To run the fuel injection, you will simply need a fuel rail. Install the fuel rail, hook up some fuel lines, and drive your new 16v. ONE problem is that your rev limiter will be at 6200rpm as opposed to the 7k like the motronic 16v setup. A chip will change this.
One thing to add, is that since you are interested in going turbo, digifant is the way to go. With motronic, you would have to run additional injectors, custom chip(not likely), etc.
Down the line, you can get a hold of a digifant 1 ecu(from a coraddo g60) and convert your harness. From then on, all you will need is a chip, and maybe some big injectors to properly fuel the amount of boost you are running...
All in all, digifant 2(what your car has now) sucks, but for a mildly modded 16v it will do just fine and dandy.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Re: what do i need for a 2.0L 16v swap??? (cnbrown)

You want to build a turbo engine but you don't even know what kind of injection you have

Two words----> Bentley manual....good book, do some reading

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: what do i need for a 2.0L 16v swap??? (gtiordie)

ya the turbo idea is comming in next year ehrn i have more knowledge about the mk2's, i have been doing mk3's and 4's for now... i am only 19 and love to do work on my car so thats y i ask.... thank you to those who have helped out and made this so clear to me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts