VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all,
I've been lurking in here for a few months now, drooling over all your sweet aircooleds. I'm really enticed by the simplicity of these cars.
Anyway, I'm going to go look at a 1300 Beetle today (I'll post pics tonight when I get home). I don't know what year it is, but it's fairly rusted on the floor, and doesn't seem to run.
I am having trouble finding information on the 'net and the 'tex about the 1300 (I searched google and on here). Are these a fairly rare model? Are parts going to be impossible to find for it?
Thanks to all. Hopefully I'll be joining your happy community soon.

· Registered
838 Posts
Re: what do I need to know about a 1300 beetle? (90quattro20v)

1300cc was introduced in 1966, then displacement was increased to 1500cc in '67. nothing unusual or rare. 1600cc cylinders will slip into the 1300cc case with no machining.

Modified by air skooled at 4:33 PM 3-16-2008

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: what do I need to know about a 1300 beetle? (90quattro20v)

Here are some pictures I snapped when I went to go check it out today. Apparently the owner was smoking crack right before I came over, because he told me he wanted $1000US for it, and told me he had rejected $850 a week ago.
Unfortunately, pickings are somewhat slim here in the midwest, and I might just be dumb enough to pay that much. It needs tires, a carb, and has body rust at the wheelwells. I didn't ask if the motor is the original 1300, but will assume so. The odometer read 99k, but he suspected that it was not 199k. I believe him there.
OK, well if anyone has any advice, or just wants to talk me out of buying it, I'd appreciate it.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
Re: what do I need to know about a 1300 beetle? (SidVicious)

It doesn't look all that rusty from the pict, needs some stuff. But if you don't know how to weld, it'll cost you 3x in the end as much as getting as solid project instead. I got tired of looking for solid projects on the East Coast so the last one I got I bought from California and paid an extra $1k to have it shipped. Saved me time and labor and $$ overall.
I spend $2k on a better project myself, find a $1k California car and $1k to have it shipped. But if you do want to do a full out resto, than that doesn't matter I guess.

Modified by nicnaor at 3:43 AM 3-17-2008

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: what do I need to know about a 1300 beetle? (nicnaor)

Not really looking for a resto. Something fun to have as a summer car (I'll keep my 90 quattro for winter). I'm 20 and am currently an intern, so I figure it's a good time to buy a project (I have 9 months before I go back to school). I don't have too many obligations right now, so that's part of my decision.
Thanks to all for your opinions.

· Registered
27 Posts
by him some crack, give him 50 cash.
IMO looks quite clean. but what it like under the paint is no ones guess.. Pull the carpets, and bang around under the wheel arches.. If you find lots of rust, either forget it, or offer him just the crack..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.