VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm running some OEM VW Zandvoort 14" wheels on my '94 Jetta and they've been working great. However, my tires are about spent and I was looking into just buying new wheels, but made myself wonder what my current set would look like if they were polished. I want to take off the clear coat and actually polish down the alloy to make it almost a mirror type finish. I've seen it done with the teardrops and it looks amazing.
My question is, what will I be required to purchase (I have nothing. No pads, rags, clay, wheel specific cleaning/shining products, or even an electric buffer.) if I want to remove the stock clear coat, polish the metal, and then cover it back up with some protection so it doesn't rust the following afternoon.
The wheel in question:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: What do I need to polish down OEM wheels? (67Customs)

Quote, originally posted by 67Customs »
Buy some aircraft stripper from an automotive store. Spray that on the surface of the wheels and it will eat away the clear coat. Wipe that off and you are ready to wetsand.
Start off with 1500 or so grit. Make your way up to 200 or 2500 grit.
Take the Mother's Powerball and some Aluminum polish and go to town.
The biggest thing is using the aircraft stripper to remove the clear. Use it per the instructions.

see, according to my other research this is pretty much the method I came up with as well. Now my question is is it possible to give it something like a clear coat again for protection or will this hinder it's ability to shine? Will it even be possible for it to stick if I'm trying to create a mirror finish? My idea was to polish the parts that are already shiny and then re-paint the other parts a shade of black (the insides of the triangles are a bumpier metal that has a coat of dark gray paint already)

Modified by Yamiyanazz at 3:05 PM 9-21-2007

1 - 2 of 13 Posts