VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already installed a 4-2 mani + dp off an 82 cab. I need to replace my 83 GTI head with another 83 GTI head (I trashed beyond trashed some of the exh mani stud holes). So I figure I might as well swap the block too, maybe do a clutch job while im at it. I'll probably have the replacement head p/p, add a G grind, valve job, blah blah blah.
As for the block itself ->
1. Do I need anything other than the 2L 16V block ?
2. What cars can I get the 16V 2L block from ?
Much thanks.
Paul
92 SLC
83 GTI

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: What do I need to Put 16V 2L Bottom End On My 83 GTI ? (A2T)

You're on the wrong track, if you're planning to use an 8v head it's cheaper, easier and quicker to start with a 2l-8v block. An 8v head on a 16v block gets you a compression ratio that's way too high (~14:1) so, unless you're planing to run racing fuel you need to change the pistons.

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What do I need to Put 16V 2L Bottom End On My 83 GTI ? (ABA Scirocco)

Sorry - you are right, thats what i meant - 8v 2L block.
So, making that change to above - what will i need??
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
6,683 Posts

93-99 VW A3 (ABA) block or 88-90 Audi 80,90(auto) (3A) and some conversion parts.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

You need an distributor adapter ring and a 2.0L distributor gear, (or an Audi 80 2.0L distributor) a longer downpipe or a 16mm spacer to lengthen your downpipe and a 40mm frost plug and a plate to block off the breather. Check out my website it should answer most of your questions, it details and ABA swap into an A1.

·
Banned
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What do I need to Put 16V 2L Bottom End On My 83 GTI ? (ABA Scirocco)

Dude, you ROCK! This is the sort of reply I wish I could get everytime...Add...Favorites...Bookmark
Seriously, mucho gracias.
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.