VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (alphaDUB)

I think the cadillac sports car i saw in the commercial is a separate car. Thats the one that i like.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (Shier Khan)

Definitely a BIG step forward for Cadillac, and for GM in general http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (Shier Khan)

quote:[HR][/HR]Its a very fast/very comfortable car.[HR][/HR]​
Ah, it's not even out yet. You may want to wait in terms of rushing to judgement. Do you remember the Cimeron and the Catera? http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (bac)

From the early previews, it DOES sound to be the real McKoy!
Evidently there should be reviews coming out in magazines soon. The intro is January. I sat in one at a dealer a couple weeks ago... tres nice. The only thing they got wrong inside was the lack of a console e-brake. The exterior is a take it or leave it affair, which is fine with me. I'm diggin' its non derivative styling, but I also heard Bob Lutz is getting his ego into the styling of the next STS - "softening the corners." I just wish those arrogant execs would just leave the designers alone. That's half the reason GM designs sucked so bad for the past 30 years... because they haaaad to leave their "personal impression."
Anyways, I think its the XLR roadster that you like, which is Vette based with a Northstar redesigned for RWD. Although GM hints at a 'tuned' version (a la M type), I think this car is too big for me. It's sized to be a 5 Series class luxury sport sedan.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (uncleho)

quote:[HR][/HR]I just wish those arrogant execs would just leave the designers alone. .[HR][/HR]​
The more I read about Lutz, the more I agree with your assessment. Sure, he has decent car sense, but one man should not rule/terrorize a public company, Marine pilot/cigar chomping or not....
The CTS intrigues me - it looks much better in a darker color, like the WRX....
Tom

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,334 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (mutcth)

quote:[HR][/HR]
The more I read about Lutz, the more I agree with your assessment. Sure, he has decent car sense, but one man should not rule/terrorize a public company, Marine pilot/cigar chomping or not....
[HR][/HR]​
Why not? It worked for VW

quote:[HR][/HR]The CTS intrigues me - it looks much better in a darker color, like the WRX....
Tom [HR][/HR]​
You know a car has bad styling when ...people start saying it looks better in black.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts

I swear, EVERYONE is smitten by "Maximum Bob" in Motown!
He's got skill, but I think the ego he's getting from GMers will be the downfall of his intended purpose. It's funny. The grunts (which I'm one of) have been so depressed these past years by the mediocre (and some terrifically horrendous) product line up that now they are willing to jump at the first 'savior' that comes there way... without using common sense to constrain Lutz's powers to what he's good at!
It's not that GM was full of bad designers (just a few idiots and old timers that seemed to have Wayne "the '80s was a good decade" Cherry's ear)... the good ones just seemed to get walked on or their designs just molested by every exec at the design reviews - "No, no... you need more chrome. Here, put the grille of this Cimarron on it... yeah, now that looks good!"
Lutz should work on :1) Making product EMPEROR (i.e. planning for products well beyond the typical 8 years they normally do... planning on an EMPIRE of product success for generations to come, NOT what's fashionable to keep Wall Street giddy for the next 5 years!), 2) Putting BRAND Mgt. at a complimentary level, 3) Hiring a well-rounded VP of design with vision and who isn't into fashion, 4) Keeping other execs out of the design studio, and 5) Cutting through the monster which is GM red tape!
Damn... I'm whining again!

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts

I never quite understood why GM should have been so troubled. I owe GM a lot - I was a GM scholar, so they paid 2 years of my (expensive) engineering school tuition, as well as giving me a high paying summer internship at the-then AC Rochester division.
While I worked there, I met many dedicated car people. The engine management systems they worked on were great. But I felt so sorry for them - product lead times were eternity, and you never knew if what you were working on would survive the inevitable reorganization (much less YOU survive the reorg.)
My take on it is that GM suffers so tremendously from the government-ese that developed that any disruption to that inertia is a welcome change. (We're seeing the same thing, on a lesser scale, where I work, where a new president is seen as a messenger of change, even though much of that change is because he's simply different.)
GM really needs to sit down and think about their strategy - including cutting surplus models (why Regal and Century?) or even more divisions/dealerships - for business.
Tom

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (Hajduk)

quote:[HR][/HR]You know a car has bad styling when ...people start saying it looks better in black.
[HR][/HR]​
Exactly. The exterior looks hideous. I like the fact that GM is trying to be competitive, but this new look for Cadillac sucks.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (GTI JIM)

quote:[HR][/HR]It's BEGGING for bigger wheels[HR][/HR]​
You mean in the same way the Asstek is begging for bigger wheels? The design stinks, the small wheels just make it look worse.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts

uncleho and mutcth have made some VERY good points here. Like I have pointed out before, while Lutz is a major step forward for GM and a huge and welcome improvement, GM will need more than his guile to pull themselves out of their present malaise. They need more people like him, sure, but above all they need a complete restructuring and reorganisation to ensure that their blunders of the past quarter of a century will not be repeated ever again. Any volunteers?

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (David Votoupal)

quote:[HR][/HR]uncleho and mutcth have made some VERY good points here. Like I have pointed out before, while Lutz is a major step forward for GM and a huge and welcome improvement, GM will need more than his guile to pull themselves out of their present malaise. They need more people like him, sure, but above all they need a complete restructuring and reorganisation to ensure that their blunders of the past quarter of a century will not be repeated ever again. Any volunteers?[HR][/HR]​
Okay, but if they offer to pay me in Aztecs I'm suing them first and then you.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (David Votoupal)

Volunteers?! Yeah, ME!!!! I'd put the moron who designed (and the idiot who hired the moron) the Aztek on a one way trip to Kandahar!
Really, though...
Their problem is like you guys say - GM is second only to the US Fed in insane red tape and the "B" word. It's a company waaaay to big to manage successfully. They just need to make each division (Powertrain included) an autonomous entity. GM, the mothership, should just dole out money and monitor the successful ones and can the losers... managing the raw material leverage they have and overseeing basic standards and performance targets for all to reach for. The assembly plants could be separate entities competiting for product lines, also. S' canning the poor facilities! Powertrain could be the initial supplier to all of the divisions, but if they couldn't satisfy Caddy with a techno-tour-de-force or Opel with a gem of efficiency... the divisions could look elsewhere.
Things seem to work better when the leadership doesn't have to get a grip of a being of continental proportions.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Re: what do u think of the new cadillac cts? (xdre)

I think they'll be giving away Azteks for free with a purchase of a new Caddy Escapade.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Doesn't anyone else see Aztek in the front and rear lighting? http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

1 - 20 of 49 Posts