VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is all old and very brittle at this stage. Every time I brush my hand on it I take a chunk of it off
.... Do you guys use something to condition this foam layer or you just scrape them all off, if so what do you use to remove them??? All suggestions and tips is appreciated!!

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (CuRide)

I just ripped out a section of mine to lay in a hood scoop and the adhesive VW used is really strong, I couldn't get it off - so I'm just going to but in some polished sheetmetal over it

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (mack73)

I just pulled my foam off too. I can't get that stupid adhesive off either. I tried using professional auto adhesive remover and that didn't work.
Anybody ever manage to get that stuff off? How'd you do it? I was thinking I would have to remove the hood and let that adhesive remover soak on the glue for a while and then try to get it off.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (VW KEVIN G)

Take the hood off and dowse the foam in WD40. Absoulutely soak it in the stuff. After about an hour it'll come right off. Use a shop vac to suck all the crap up. Then use some pre-wax cleaner to shine it all up nice. PoweredbyG60 just did his last week -- looks great.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (Blown6T)

got any pics of it when its done? to see how good it came out. Another suggestion is go to the dealership and order up a new set of foam.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Pressure washer, it all came right off (except for some glue).

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (hallkbrd)

Okay...here's the easiest way that I found...
Obviously you have to get the foam off. In the state that it's in after 12 years, it'll flake right off. What you'll have left is the glue residue which is the biggest pain in the arse to get off. I found that soaking the underside of hood in lighter fluid (or any naptha based product) melts the glue off, then I took a plastic scraper and got it off. Have about 2 econo size bottles of the stuff handy, as it evaporates at an accelerated rate.
Replacing the foam is up to you. The whole setup costs $140. I like the way the hood looks without it.

[Modified by BrewDude, 2:09 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (thesleeper)

I took the foam off mine for a while, and started to notice very tiny boils in the paint on the surface of the hood. I have heard of others noticing this phenomenon too, so I say just keep it!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (DMS_G60)

So has anyone else seen the paint on their hood get messed up because they took the foam off?
Who's gonna come over to my house to help me get the boat anchor of a hood off my car?

·
Registered
13,387 Posts

You could always get the Dynaliner under hood liner. Helps keep the paint from bubbling off those warm spots under the hood, and really quiets the cabin noise.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (BrewDude)

Just order a set of chrome/finish polished aluminum hood underliners, show quality, light weight, and sound, vibration and heat shields 195.00 set and they are cnc electronic cut, now only G60, sorry no vr6 (until someone let's me vectorize the underhood pattern
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: What do you C owner do with them old foams on the hood???? (stevelangford)

Yeah, I've been considering those under hood aluminum panels. Didn't know they cost that much though. I think if they were less expensive I'd do it, but I'd rather take that big of a chunk of change and put it into a carbon fiber hood fund.

·
Banned
171 Posts

DOES ANYONE WANNA BUY THE STOCK FOAM FOR A G60???? ITS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, NO FLAKING. I'll SELL IT FOR $30. Reply if you want it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.