VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're getting cheaper, and I've always LOVED the shape.. not to mention how freakin' fast they are. I'm jovially considering a 98-99 540i with a 6spd... as my insurance rates drop this quarter, I think that I will be able to handle a slightly higher car payment. What do you guys know about reliability issues and all the other factors to consider before ownership? Thanks in advance, I feel it's time to move into manhood

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Re: What do you think of the E60 BMW 540i? (Majik6)

psst...thats an E39.

Best looking 5er IMO. Make sure the person you're buying it from has all the records and all the maintenance is up-to-date.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (DanG)

yes... and with a car like that, there is no modding necessary. all business with wheels and this and that, i'd like to get out of that... and get into a car that doesn't need a $3000 set of rims to make it's $9000 bluebook look a little bulkier. all that im thinking is dropping it on some h&r springs, and a light tint... and all that money i spent on mods which has equated to $2000/year on my current car, can go to maintainence. are they reliable?
sorry, thought that was an e60, but now i know

·
Banned
12,115 Posts

Somebody hold matoo back, thats an Inca Orange 2002 next to the 5 series!
He'll make a mess of the place...

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Re: (Majik6)

Quote, originally posted by Majik6 »
and get into a car that doesn't need a $3000 set of rims to make it's $9000 bluebook l

$9000 bluebook
let me know if you ever see a mid-late 90's 540 in that price range, especially in this condition. i still see early 90's 535's selling for nine grand

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

Those cars are fast

If you were open to a car with a slushbox, I'd suggest a 96-97 E320 dropped on a set of 18" AMG wheels instead.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Re: What do you think of the E60 BMW 540i? (a2a4raddo)

No ****. I've driven a 99, but it had the slushbox. Prolly explains why...

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
Re: What do you think of the E60 BMW 540i? ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
No ****. I've driven a 99, but it had the slushbox. Prolly explains why...

i dont know, maybe you drive really fast cars as a norm. but even with a slush box, the 540 is quick. my cousin used to have a 97 540iA, and he would smoke me like no tommorow on the freeway, in both my Corrado & e30 M3.
on the other hand, this isnt very credible. but some guy traded an 01 540 for a brand new TL 6-speed at my friends dealership. he claims the 540 was quicker, but he probobly gets that feeling because its RWD, vs FWD.
i've driven the new TL, and its pretty quick aswell...even the auto i drove moved quickly, especially on the freeway.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote »

are they reliable?

The 6-speeds can be a bit finicky. The OEM clutch generally has a pretty short lifespan if driven "spiritedly" on a regular basis. The scheduled maintenance isn't cheap either...Inspection I is about $350 and Inspection II runs ~$500 at Tate BMW in Annapolis (at least it did in '01).

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: What do you think of the E60 BMW 540i? (a2a4raddo)

Quote, originally posted by a2a4raddo »

i dont know, maybe you drive really fast cars as a norm. but even with a slush box, the 540 is quick. my cousin used to have a 97 540iA, and he would smoke me like no tommorow on the freeway, in both my Corrado & e30 M3.
on the other hand, this isnt very credible. but some guy traded an 01 540 for a brand new TL 6-speed at my friends dealership. he claims the 540 was quicker, but he probobly gets that feeling because its RWD, vs FWD.

i've driven the new TL, and its pretty quick aswell...even the auto i drove moved quickly, especially on the freeway.

Agreed, I drove a 97 540i sport Auto(can't remember if they officially called it the sport package in 97) from Boston to New York and it is a highway beast. Def no slouch, unless you're used to Viper power...

·
Registered
26,331 Posts
Re: (rempel)

Quote, originally posted by rempel »

$9000 bluebook
let me know if you ever see a mid-late 90's 540 in that price range, especially in this condition. i still see early 90's 535's selling for nine grand

i think he was talking about his current car and having to bolt on a set of $3k wheels to make the $9k sound right...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (dunhamjr)

Quote, originally posted by dunhamjr »
i think he was talking about his current car and having to bolt on a set of $3k wheels to make the $9k sound right...

yep you got it

from what i been reading the 540's are neck and neck with e36 m3's and they pull in the top end.
that's fast.. and im sure with the auto even is faster than you're normally modded vr6.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

I'm on my 3d E39. ('97 528i; '00 540i/6, '02 M5)
All of the 540i/6 models beginning in '98 had the sport package. There were some automatics, too, but most of them are the slower non-sport model. (Sport pkg came out in '98; included blacked out trim on the side windows, and sport wheel.) If you can manage to find a '97 6-speed, you might be able to get the non-sport wheel that's heated. The sport models also got REALLY nice sport seats, including a power-adjustable thigh support. There was a "comfort seat" available, too -- the backrest was hinged about 2/3 of the way up, but no adjustable thigh support.
Some of them (like mine) had nav system, which I think is a great option. The ones in some of the Japanese cars are slicker, but I'll take a slightly crummier nav system to get a MUCH better car around it!
There's also a Premium Audio package that gets you about 400W, something like a dozen speakers, and a 7-band graphic equalizer. There was also a shade package for the back window and the windows on the back door.
The trip computer does a bunch of things, like calculating the range based on current fuel consumption. And the interiors are GORGEOUS -- classic, pre-Bangle dash turned toward the driver; really nice walnut burl wood trim.
There's a "clutch delay valve" designed to keep the engine from dropping revs too quickly as you shift. It's s'posta reduce the stress on the drivetrain. Some people drill 'em out. I just got used to it. It's a slightly tough car to drive -- there's SO FREAKING MUCH TORQUE that if you speed shift into second (even on dry pavement), you're gonna trigger the traction control, and you'll find yourself wondering where the party went.
I dropped my car off with 45,000 miles on it, and I don't think I ever added a quart of oil. (My M5 burns about 1 qt every 5k miles, but the ///M engines are known to be kinda loose.)
My car was under warranty the whole time I owned it, but I don't remember ever having any problems...oh, except the one time the nav system got fried and they had to replace it. For the level of performance, it's a fairly economical beast. In the time I had the car, the overall fuel economy was 20.71 MPG. (Most of my driving is in the suburbs.) I took the car from MA to FL and back. My longest day behind the wheel was about 13 hours, and it was sheer heaven. On those loooooooooooong highway trips, with the cruise set at about 80 MPG, I got 26 to 28 MPG.
If you've got any more questions, post 'em and I'll answer whatever I can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts