VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Re: what do you think of this Alfa GTV6 ? (clickhappy)

Ever since I saw Bond driving one I've liked them. They look flat-out mean and they are rear dirve with V6's I believe. hard to find, though (of course) and parts are prob gonna be very expensive. That one you spotted on eBay looks nice!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: what do you think of this Alfa GTV6 ? (Fsmith010)

I saw a race prepped GTV6 the other day, with dual straight pipes..The guy was picking up rotors, and I talked to him
Have you ever HEARD an Alfa GTV6?

·
Registered
525 Posts

The Maratona was only offered in 1985. Basically it is an appearance package with fender flares, spoilers, and a see through hood port. The rear wing on this car is not stock, and neither are the wheels (the original wheels were metric TRX which are obsolete). It looks like a pretty clean car. The front seats have been redone as the stock cars never came with that pattern leather.
However, I wouldbe very wary of buying a GTV6 from a rust belt state which NJ certainly is. A common spot were GTV6 rust is underneath the expansion tank and around the front shock absorber mounts. This is a load bearing part of the chassis so too much rust over time it can lead to serious problems. Replacement panels for this area are one of the few GTV6 body parts available. You can see the rust starting to poke out in this picture. If rust has made it's way up part the expansion tank, it's probably pretty rotted underneath.

If everything checked out mechanically with the vehicle, wouldn't pay much more than the current bid price.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: what do you think of this Alfa GTV6 ? (Zinhead)

a friend of mine owns an '86 GTV6 2.5, black
no callaway turbo or anything, it's not particularly fast, but it's fun as hell
the v6 makes beautiful italian music and the car pulls nicely.
the shifter is one of the best i've ever felt...

·
Registered
787 Posts

Heh, I bought a new Alfa Romeo GTV6 back in '83. It was a great car with lots of personality and very entertaining to drive, but it was fragile. Anyone that thinks VWs have electrical problems should buy an Italian car. Second gear started grinding after about a year, and the car developed a head gasket leak in year two. I decided it was time to unload it then. I have fond memories of that car, but I'll never buy another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.