VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm.. soo..
This is my 5th GTI I've purchased. it's been sitting in the garage for 2 years and I've finally decide to start using it as a daily..
When I go past 15mph, I hear this 'wong-wong-wong-wong' noise and I can't tell if its coming from the front or the rear..
Now, I believe I know waht a front-wheel bearing sounds like... because I've had a few of those.. I jacked up the car and raised it up and tried to wiggle the wheel to see if there's any play.. nothing that would normally indicate a worn out bearing..
I figured it would be either the tires (since the front are completely worn) or an alignment issue (who knows what the previous owner did).
I got that done today -new tires and alignment and I take it out for a spin and the noise is still there..
My car does not shimmy and is very stable past 85mph -noise is still there
Does not have a torn/leaking CV or axle
has new tires (uni-directional) and a new alignment..
It could just be me but I think when I make right-hand turns, the noise increases or when I put a load on the passenger side. The noise is continous..
Any help/input/ideas would be appreciated..
Thanks

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Re: What do you think this is? (myknyte2)

Wheel bearing, especially with the description you gave while turning. Weight of the car in a corner is what will make the most noise out of a front wheel bearing.
Anyway pull the rear drums to check them first & repack them even if good. Car sat a while & will need new grease.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Re: (duct-tape)

from the peanut gallery......
I'd go with the right engine mount.
had the same thing once and after several test runs(stress/hills/corners) to make it replicate itself it became very noticible, by the time I got home the engine was hanging 2 inches lower and the stick went from stable -- to giggly on corners-- to jumping out of my hand at idle.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: What do you think this is? (myknyte2)

Without actually hearing the noise, my guess would be either a front wheel bearing or worn CV joint.
I would tend to lean more toward a front wheel bearing. Since the car sat in one position for several years, the front wheel bearings may have found a "comfortable position" between the inner and outer races.
If everything seems tight, I would drive the car for a while and see if the noise goes away. If not, then the front wheel bearing might be suspect.
Also verify that the large 30mm nut on the front CV stub axle is torqued to 173 ft-lbs on each side. Over years of driving, the torque on this nut may have become less. It is always good to periodically retorque these nuts.
Good luck, WWR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.