VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't seem to be explained on the BMW Australia website.
I guess that it allows a bluetooth enabled phone to talk to your car without wires, but does it mean that I don't need a car kit?
I assume not, how would you keep the phone charged, do this from the cigarette lighter?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (mdt)

My Mum got a 325i a couple of months ago.
Under the hand rest you can remove the little storage piece and place a mobile phone charger. I think it costs $100-200 from BMW and is specific to your phone.
I think all 3-series come with the Bluetooth equipment installed as standard. You just have to pair the devices. Its all described in the manual (or a manual specific to Bluetooth).
I just did a quick search on Google and found this document. Its not the same manual that came with the car but the process is similar: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/...l.pdf

Modified by SK at 10:43 PM 9-24-2004

·
Registered
20,620 Posts

if you can buy a hard wired OEM cradle for the handset instead of using the BT kit, then I'd recommend it
I used the 2004 spec BT kit in a 3 series for a week a few months back - geez it gave me the sh!ts

And the phonebook integration is only useful if you have a TV - scrolling one by one through a 100+ entry phonebook on the one line screen on the headunit gets tedious after about 0.0000004 seconds flat

The way to tell if you have BT prep in the car (all 2004 spec cars do) is to look for a button on the centre console between the seats that has a pic of a persons head with sound waves in front of it - that's the pairing button

And make sure the dealer gives you the pairing PIN for the car on delivery

·
Registered
20,620 Posts
Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (IML337)

actually I think I'm wrong - the cradle you can buy only charges in 04 spec cars, I don't think it can be used as a hardwired alternative to connecting the phone to the car via BT
in which case that's awfully crap - the point of having BT is so you DON'T have to get the phone out each time...

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Tim, that's noted. Yes, it does have the button on the steering wheel and one in the centre glove box.
I don't like the sound of that scrolling function, I have 200+ phone numbers in my phone.
If it's all too hard, I'll just get a car kit and be done with it. I've got one in the Golf and think they are terrific.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mdt »
Thanks Tim, that's noted. Yes, it does have the button on the steering wheel and one in the centre glove box.
I don't like the sound of that scrolling function, I have 200+ phone numbers in my phone.
If it's all too hard, I'll just get a car kit and be done with it. I've got one in the Golf and think they are terrific.

MATT,
My old man just went through all of this with his new 05 spec X5
He bought the cradle so he can use it as a charger, as the bluetooth enabling on the phone wastes another 30-50% of the Battery time.
My father is just getting over his technophobia but he thinks it is fantastic ! He is using it with a new Sony Ericsson phone. Also, on the Benz (not sure about the BMW) when you hold down the arrow to scroll through the names it jumps through letter by letter and does not display every name. eg - if you want to find "JIM" and you have 120 names before Jim, you only have to scroll through 9 names prior to that (the first starting with A, the first starting with B and so on as it jumps the others. If you want a name starting with say W, then you scroll the other way and only have to flick through Z, Y and X before getting to the names starting with W. Trust me, the integrated phone kits are awesome! My benz one is not bluetooth but hardwired and I love it ! r207 also has the TV installed in his (retrofitted it) and you can send SMS's from the TV screen !! The steering wheel controls ROCK ! I hate using the phone in the golf as I have to fiddle with the phone on it's cradle.
Hope that all made sense.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (Sloth)

Yes, I'm glad you told me that, I was beginning to worry.
The dealer this morning told me that he would be able to install the cupholders we had negotiated to have fitted, but he would have to take out the bluetooth. I told him that I would give the Bluetooth a try first.
So, what do I have to do, buy a power adaptor from Optus or BMW? Or is it fitted, I'm not sure I fully understand.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (Sloth)

Sure, but I still have to buy a cradle and then have that fitted. If that is the case, how is it different to a normal car kit?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

You get to use the buttons on the wheel, full stereo integration (other stuff I might not know about 'cos I dont own a BMW)
Up to you but when there is an OEM/factory alternative, for me it's the way to go, but this is based on what I have seen in the Mercs mostly.

·
Registered
20,620 Posts

Sure, but I still have to buy a cradle and then have that fitted. If that is the case, how is it different to a normal car kit?

I think that's a 10 minute job. Difference is that it's integrated into OEM buttons and things, but the phone is connected to the car via BT?
need to find an authoritative source on this stuff

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

My Mum uses the BMW BT in her 325i so if you have any specific questions just ask.
If you put an aftermarket phone kit in, you won't be able to use the steering wheel buttons to answer calls, etc. You will have to install a cradle, external aerial and microphone.
Using the BMW buttons, there is no quick way to scroll through the phone book. One good feature is the 'Top 8 Directory' which lists your 8 most recent numbers. You can easily click these people's name. You cannot write SMS with the BMW Bluetooth system, only read them.
Not all phones work correctly with the BMW BT equipment. If you want to be able to view your phone book etc, make sure you check which phones are approved (tested).

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (SK)

Quote, originally posted by SK »
My Mum uses the BMW BT in her 325i so if you have any specific questions just ask.
If you put an aftermarket phone kit in, you won't be able to use the steering wheel buttons to answer calls, etc. You will have to install a cradle, external aerial and microphone.
Using the BMW buttons, there is no quick way to scroll through the phone book. One good feature is the 'Top 8 Directory' which lists your 8 most recent numbers. You can easily click these people's name. You cannot write SMS with the BMW Bluetooth system, only read them.
Not all phones work correctly with the BMW BT equipment. If you want to be able to view your phone book etc, make sure you check which phones are approved (tested).

Okay, here's a question. When I fire up the bluetooth function, it says "Please wait" and then shows this message for a good five minutes. What's happening, is it trying to load the phone book?
I hope I don't have to go through that every time I want to use the phone book. I have a Sony Ericsson T68i which is apparently an approved phone, so it should work. Dealer couldn't tell me what was happening.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

Okay, here's a question. When I fire up the bluetooth function, it says "Please wait" and then shows this message for a good five minutes. What's happening, is it trying to load the phone book?

Are you referring to your T68i or the BMW screen displaying that message?
Once the phone was been successfully paired with the car, the phone book will appear instantly. The first time you pair the devices it might take a few minutes to load the phone book but not 5+ minutes.
As Tim mentioned above, have you got the Bluetooth pairing code from the dealer as it won't work without this?

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (SK)

Quote, originally posted by SK »
Are you referring to your T68i or the BMW screen displaying that message?
Once the phone was been successfully paired with the car, the phone book will appear instantly. The first time you pair the devices it might take a few minutes to load the phone book but not 5+ minutes.
As Tim mentioned above, have you got the Bluetooth pairing code from the dealer as it won't work without this?

The BMW Screen displaying the message.
The car and phone have been paired.
I just checked my phone and it has 635 phone numbers stored from a possible 720.
I should perhaps give it a bit more time.

·
Registered
20,620 Posts

I found with the car that I had that it took about 5 minutes to begin working properly EVERY BLOODY TIME I got in the car. (I have an SE T610)
I couldn't get into the car and make a call thru the kit straight away, I'd have to wait 5-10 mins before it would magically start working. It shat me to tears... Not sure if I was doing something wrong?
I've just picked my car up from the dealer today and the clutch is totally f**ked so I'm taking it back tomorrow. I'll try and get another 3 with BT so I can play

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.