VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean?

9K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  IML337 
Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (mdt)

My Mum got a 325i a couple of months ago.
Under the hand rest you can remove the little storage piece and place a mobile phone charger. I think it costs $100-200 from BMW and is specific to your phone.
I think all 3-series come with the Bluetooth equipment installed as standard. You just have to pair the devices. Its all described in the manual (or a manual specific to Bluetooth).
I just did a quick search on Google and found this document. Its not the same manual that came with the car but the process is similar: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/...l.pdf

Modified by SK at 10:43 PM 9-24-2004

Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (IML337)

My Mum uses the BMW BT in her 325i so if you have any specific questions just ask.
If you put an aftermarket phone kit in, you won't be able to use the steering wheel buttons to answer calls, etc. You will have to install a cradle, external aerial and microphone.
Using the BMW buttons, there is no quick way to scroll through the phone book. One good feature is the 'Top 8 Directory' which lists your 8 most recent numbers. You can easily click these people's name. You cannot write SMS with the BMW Bluetooth system, only read them.
Not all phones work correctly with the BMW BT equipment. If you want to be able to view your phone book etc, make sure you check which phones are approved (tested).

Quote, originally posted by mdt »
Okay, here's a question. When I fire up the bluetooth function, it says "Please wait" and then shows this message for a good five minutes. What's happening, is it trying to load the phone book?

Are you referring to your T68i or the BMW screen displaying that message?
Once the phone was been successfully paired with the car, the phone book will appear instantly. The first time you pair the devices it might take a few minutes to load the phone book but not 5+ minutes.
As Tim mentioned above, have you got the Bluetooth pairing code from the dealer as it won't work without this?

Re: What does "Bluetooth mobile phone preparation" mean? (IML337)

I only have experience with the Nokia 6310i on the BMW system. And as I said, the phone book loads during the initial pairing and is available instantly once the ignition is switched on.
I found this site and what you guys are saying could be right. The SE T68i don't seem to store the phone numbers from the actual phone in the car, only the numbers off the SIM card, hence the delay each time you turn the ignition on. Tim's T610 should have worked properly according to the site.
http://www.x5world.net/bluetoo...s.htm
It might be checking what version of firmware the phone has aswell (see the link above Re: Comments).
The phones BMW Sydney suggested to us since they have tested and confirmed they work correctly were:
-Nokia 6310i
-Sony Ericsson T610 & T630
-Siemens S55
I am sorry I cannot offer any other advice. If I knew someone with a T68i, I would test it for you.

Quote, originally posted by mdt »
I haven't worked out the jump scroll feature yet, but I suspect that it's there.

Please tell me if you find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.