VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Registered
2,900 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (WhistlerYOW)

Quote, originally posted by WhistlerYOW »
Teutonic Knight:

How the heck does one "capture" a painting? Sounds dangerous. Especially a painting of Hitler!

· Registered
487 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (vrsexxy_GTI)

Quote from Blazing Saddles:
Hedley Lamarr: [to Lili Von Stupp] Shut up, you Teutonic ****!

It means German. Not evil.. or any of those others. Just German. Aryan would be more in tune with Evil Germans.
Teutonic in reference to cars has always meant (to me) that it looks like a Bimmer or a Benz. Straight sexy lines, which are extra flattering in Black. Y'know... kinda like a Hugo Boss Gestapo Uniform..
j/k

Modified by uber_beetle at 11:42 AM 2-21-2008

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »

It means "Hi. I'm an automotive journalist without the slightest shred of imagination, a small vocabulary, and a poor command of the principles of design. I need a quick, suitably pretentious way to convey that the styling of this car is simple and fairly boring, but clean in a contemporary kind of way. Got anything for me?"

Yup... I think that sums it up best.

· Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
60,975 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (intonation)

Quote, originally posted by intonation »

worthless without pics

Yeah. Pictars or it didn't happen.

· Registered
13,133 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (LhW)

Quote, originally posted by LhW »

How the heck does one "capture" a painting? Sounds dangerous. Especially a painting of Hitler!

you shoot up the castle, building, etc which contained said painting and take it.
this was extremely common in World War II

· Registered
10,407 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (uber_beetle)

Quote, originally posted by uber_beetle »
Teutonic in reference to cars has always meant (to me) that it looks like a Bimmer or a Benz. Straight sexy lines, which are extra flattering in Black. Y'know... kinda like a Hugo Boss Gestapo Uniform..
j/k

You know, Hugo Boss _did_ design and manufacture Nazi uniforms.

· Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
60,975 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (PassSedanGLX)

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »

I'm too classy* for that sort of thing.
*"I'm too classy" in this instance is code for "I didn't have a camera."

Cameraphone. DO IT NOW.

· Registered
8,908 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (vrsexxy_GTI)

It means "germanic"

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Re: What does "Teutonic" mean? (3 Money Pits)

Quote, originally posted by 3 Money Pits »
Does Google not work in Canada or something? The friggen wiki entry is the first result.

We just get CanOOgle up here, eh. The only sites it indexes are more_hockey.ca, better_beer_than_the_USA.ca, TimHortons.ca, and holy_jesus_its_cold_today_eh.ca.

· Registered
11,096 Posts
Re: (Viergang Fuchs)

Quote, originally posted by Viergang Fuchs »
The Teutons were one of the "barbarian" tribes which clashed with the Romans. Their descendants were part of Bismarck's unified Germany. Auto writers like to use various sub-German names like "Swabian" and "Teutonic".

Well "Swabia" is an area within Germany (I believe it's pretty much the Black Forest region)... while it isn't a formal province it encompasses some of Baden-Wurttemberg... Specifically it does capture the Stuttgart area, where Mercedes hails from. Mercedes' are considered Swabian cars, BMW's and Audi's are Bavarian cars, since their locations of Munich and Ingolstadt are in Bavaria... To someone living in North America these of course mean nothing...
I think the regions mean more to actual Germans - my dad is proud of the fact that he is Swabian and seemingly would rather tell people that - then just the plain fact that he is German.
Teutonic is used to imply "German" origins and nothing more...

Modified by Live-Wire at 7:28 PM 2-21-2008

· Registered
10,407 Posts
Re: (Live-Wire)

Quote, originally posted by Live-Wire »

Teutonic is used to imply "German" origins and nothing more...

Pretty much. Same as "Yank" denotes any American, abroad anyway, even though there's not really a state North Yankeenia, vs. Texan for somebody who lives in Texas.

· Registered
7 Posts
Teutonic means "practical," "unadorned," and "form follows function." A Ferrari is not teutonic. A BMW CSi and Mercedes W123 are teutonic. There was a time when "teutonic" automotive design was owned by the Germans. I would say that not one car in the world made today would be teutonic. I open to be proven wrong.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts