VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I started having this really annoying puttering sound whenever my car idled or when I applied the brakes.
The sound is made by a vent just below the drivers side tail light. Here's a pic:

Does anybody know what it's for, or how I can get rid of this sound? It's driving me up the wall!! I looked through my Bentley and couldn't find anything on this vent. many thanks!

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (BatesGTI)

The vent is on the inside of the car, you have to take all the trim off in the back end to see it, it's well hidden. It's below and a little to the right of the drivers side tail light.
BatesGTI: I think you are right, it is to equalize cabin pressure because when I close or open any doors the vent flap flap flaps away.
I should almost make a movie of it, it's the most dayum annoying sound - alot worse than any other creaks that my car has

Modified by StevenT at 4:56 PM 7-16-2003

· Banned
4,210 Posts
Re: What does this vent do? (StevenT)

Quote, originally posted by StevenT »
Does anybody know what it's for,

Well, if you expect the CC to draw in outside air and discharge it out the dash vents, the air has to get out somewhere. Otherwise, there will be no airflow. All cars have to have this.
If your house has forced air heating, it has the same thing in each room: it has hot air registers and cold air return.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.