VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My reverse no longer works so I need to find a new transmission and replace it.

What are some "while you're there" things I should replace? Going to do the rear main seal, clutch, and short shifter.

·
Registered
1995 GTI VR6 / 1990 Corrado g60 / 2000 A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro / 1997 Nissan Hardbody
2,199 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to pull out the clutch engagement rod from the replacement trans and inspect. I can't remember if there is a bushing in there or not... it's been a while since I poked at a 020. Also make sure the arm the clutch cable pulls on has its proper hardware. I have seen people using hose clamps to hold cable end to arm because they lost or broke the hardware for attaching the cable. You don't want to do that.
CV/boots and axles is another good thing to look at and deal with if you need to

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Imo take it apart and fix it. The manual transmissions are not complicated and parts are easy to fix
rear main seal
NO
unless its leaking, leave it alone you have a much higher change of a replacement leaking than the one you have leaking. yea its hit or miss but that's the risk you take with any high mileage/ old car.
i have seen plenty of 2.0's TDI's VR6's go upwards of 300K with not even so much as a drop from the rear main. same with the trans seals (but your replacing that so...)
unless your planning on MAJOR upgrades. go stock clutch
DEFINATLY change out the throwout bearing and fork post ball. Trans and engine mounts, because you must remove them to get the trans out!

·
Registered
1995 GTI VR6 / 1990 Corrado g60 / 2000 A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro / 1997 Nissan Hardbody
2,199 Posts
Imo take it apart and fix it. The manual transmissions are not complicated and parts are easy to fix

NO
unless its leaking, leave it alone you have a much higher change of a replacement leaking than the one you have leaking. yea its hit or miss but that's the risk you take with any high mileage/ old car.
i have seen plenty of 2.0's TDI's VR6's go upwards of 300K with not even so much as a drop from the rear main. same with the trans seals (but your replacing that so...)
unless your planning on MAJOR upgrades. go stock clutch
DEFINATLY change out the throwout bearing and fork post ball. Trans and engine mounts, because you must remove them to get the trans out!
Can't say I agree with that advice on the main seal. Rule of thumb I always heard and follow is replace them every time you are in there. The seal is cheap and pulling a transmission is not, time wise at least. As far as risk of leaking with a new one... It's most likely it is being incorrectly installed. If you don't pound them in flat and straight they will leak immediately.
Also theres no throw out bearing or clutch fork on 020.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
rear main seal, clutch, pressure plate, pressure plate bearing, transmission output shaft seal, inspect the flywheel ring gear. Also look at the starter bushing in the bell housing. New flywheel and flywheel bolts.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Can't say I agree with that advice on the main seal. Rule of thumb I always heard and follow is replace them every time you are in there. The seal is cheap and pulling a transmission is not, time wise at least. As far as risk of leaking with a new one... It's most likely it is being incorrectly installed. If you don't pound them in flat and straight they will leak immediately.
Also theres no throw out bearing or clutch fork on 020.
There absolutely is a throw out bearing on an 020. There is a clutch arm that some call a clutch fork (for some odd reason.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
There absolutely is a throw out bearing on an 020. There is a clutch arm that some call a clutch fork (for some odd reason.
Usually throw out bearing (AKA release bearing) refers to bearing that pushes on spring fingers of pressure plate during engagement of clutch pedal. 020 does not have this bearing. Instead there is a release plate that is pushed by the clutch push rod into the finger springs on the pressure plate. I'm looking at it right now in mk3 bentley book. You are either confused with 02a, which does have a conventional throw out bearing, or using the wrong term for another part.
You gotta remember that on 020 the pressure plate is bolted to the crank and then the flywheel over it, the reverse of most clutch setups.
I could upload the pics from Bentley book if I cared about rebutting you enough, but I don't....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Usually throw out bearing (AKA release bearing) refers to bearing that pushes on spring fingers of pressure plate during engagement of clutch pedal. 020 does not have this bearing. Instead there is a release plate that is pushed by the clutch push rod into the finger springs on the pressure plate. I'm looking at it right now in mk3 bentley book. You are either confused with 02a, which does have a conventional throw out bearing, or using the wrong term for another part.
You gotta remember that on 020 the pressure plate is bolted to the crank and then the flywheel over it, the reverse of most clutch setups.
I could upload the pics from Bentley book if I cared about rebutting you enough, but I don't....
Release bearing, throwout bearing.....same sh!t. When you look them up, vast majority call them a throwout bearing. Either way you knew what I was talking about ✌🏾

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love it. Release bearing throw out bearing. Who cares. I do actually, because if you don't know don't give advice! 020 transmissions do not have a release bearing they are bolted backwards and are different than most cars! The clutch release fork or lever pushes out into the release plate and disengages the clutch. Hence the reason why if your clutch cable is too tight it will wear a hole into that plate and then when you step on the pedal it will not release. No bearing just a plate to push the pressure plate fingers in to release the disc. Replacing my transmission tomorrow because I locked it up somehow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts