VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont feel the need to go into such great lengths everytime i post a question about my rally build, so here's the short......

-1rst rally build.

-ametuer, not pro or staged yet.

-had access to a full Vr6 swap, but after trying to help out someone in more need of a vr than myself....and a little researching...i've started looking into a deisel engine/extremely high torque 4 cylinder engine...(doesnt have to be deisel)

-looking for advice on which Vw engine would best suit my rally car build......suggestions?

i hear good things about the TDi / deisel engines. i know there are a couple different deisel engines. also, this would be going in a mk2 shell.

advice, suggestions, comments, concerns???????????

thanx.

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no. this is my first "rally" build. more like a dirt track car. for off-road and dirt tracks, i hear the deisel / TDI are good. lots of torque. just looking to build a little dirt track monster Golf.

i need something small. lighter is better, definately 4 cyclinder. 8v, 16v, TD, TDI............

· Registered
4,943 Posts
So this is a dirt version of a track day car? Just making sure that you are not trying to race it (now or in the near future), as you then obviously will have to consider whatever regulations there are for that class/organization.

My thoughts on an ideal rally setup is to keep it simple so that there is less to break. I would just do a stout 2.0 16v myself. Good low end torque is nice, but at the end of the day area under the curve will be faster, and if the curve covers 2x the rpms it will probably have more area under it.

From a pure project car standpoint though, a tdi would be pretty cool.

my $0.02

· Registered
454 Posts
what is in the car right now?

Instead of building an engine keep what you have go out and have some fun for a year and get some experience. NO point in building a fast motor when you can't drive the car.

Plus in a year or two you might end up enjoying it so much and want to compete on the amateur level and then your engine would probably have to fit certain class rules. (not sure how rally works, I am assuming it is similar to road racing)

· Registered
1,336 Posts
are you going to compete in Rally America?
IIRC you need to start w/ a Group 2 car..... so that being said get a 2.0 16v or an ABA from mkIII. seriously though if you are just starting out in rally worry about making the motor fast later.....getting the car to pass tech, getting it safe, and getting through your 1st few races w/o DNF'ing are much more important.

· Registered
751 Posts
I would go w/ PD150 front clip/ harness/ ECU from Europa w/ a six speed and a four motion tranny. The guy from Montclair CA can get that for you. http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/ Put a vnt 2260vk on that and some race injectors and you gotta a bomba..

if you don't want to spend that much money, then just get an ALH and build it up, also build it up w/ a 12 mm pump, race injectors and a vnt 2260 another bomba...

hard to beat the torque of he diesels when they are built up right..

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.