VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The person i bought it from said that my motor has a solid lifter head. Im not believing them after going in and changing out my valve cover gasket. It doesn't look the same as the head out of my 84 gti. The marking on the head on the right side above the made in germany is just an "H" ill post a pic later. If anyone can offer any help that would be great.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Re: What head do i have? (MKIGTITDI)

if it is a hydro head it will be missing the #4 bearing cap.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

If it's a 1.8L head and it has 5 cam bearing caps, then it is a solid lifter big valve head. I'm sorry about the quality of this picture, but it shows how to recognize a 1.8L head.

The 1.8L solid lifter head came in 3 variant, the 83 head, the 84 head and the 85-87 head. The differences between these heads all revolve around the injector ports. The 83 head uses the short plastic injector seats with no air shrounding just like the 1.6/1.7L heads. The 84 head uses the long one piece injector seats and has an air shrounding port. The 85+ head uses a two piece brass and plastic injector seat and also has an air shrouding port. This should give you enough info to positively identify the head. Here's a pic of the three different CIS injector seat styles.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What head do i have? (ABA Scirocco)

Thanks for the info and pics. I know its a 1.8l head it does have 5 bearing caps as well. Plus its sitting on a 2.0l.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MKIGTITDI »
I know its a 1.8l head it does have 5 bearing caps as well.

Then it's definitely a solid lifter head, they never made any hydraulic lifter 1.8L heads with 5 caps.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

ALL 1.8L solid lifter heads, at least those sold into North America, were big valve heads. The only small valve 1.8L heads were the early non-GTi hydraulic lifter heads

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Good to know thanks alot. here's a picture of it with the motor as a whole. Ill get a picture of just the head with the valve cover off.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

Get a pair of calipers and measure the lift, the stock cam has a lift of 0.369", to my knowledge, no aftermarket cams were with that lift. To get the lift, measure the lobe from nose to heel, measure the base circle, the difference between them is the lift.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ABA Scirocco »
$17.00 at Harbor Freight, they're not the greatest, but they're plenty good enough.

Ive got 3 of those....they work great....And they have tem on sale right now at my local store for $12.00. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

you can also look at the markings on the cam.. vw ones usually say like 027 b or something like that on them... TT usually has differnt coloured rings painted on them... ive seen shricks with schirck cast onto them. not sure if that was 8v though

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: What head do i have? (TheMajic86GTI)

Quote, originally posted by TheMajic86GTI »

Ive got 3 of those....they work great....And they have tem on sale right now at my local store for $12.00. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I used very similar ones, they do indeed work great but they won't take much of a beating.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

A guy told me another way to tell for sure that it's a solid lifter head is the lip on the lifters themselves.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.