VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my dub back from the body shop and I learnd a few things about my MK3 and European parts that I thought some of you might find useful.
What I had done:
Full Euro bumpers and rebar
Side mouldings
Euro rad support
E Spec smoked lighting
Euro fenders with marker cut outs
Rolled fenders
Smoked side markets
Smoked double wide fogs

The paint job is great! I'll post pics soon. The assembly was difficult in some areas which I'll detail below.
Front bumper & euro rad support were pretty straight forward. Because I have an intercooler I had to grind away small parts of the support to get around the tubing. No biggie.
Euro fenders -- as most of you know -- these just do not line up like OEM. I love the way they look but there is no way to adjust their fit. Drivers side has a sllightly larger gap than OEM and the passenger side is slightly smaller that OEM. Have to love manufactuing tolernaces in metal stamping.
Rear bumper & rebar -- fits very well but the rear rebar is bolted on only with 2 bolts ...... seems to me someone would do very well if they came up with brackets for a retro fit.
Lighting -- all pretty straight forward ..... one mishap. On the passenger side fender between the apron and the fender itself Ihave a fuel evap canister. I can't get the sidemarker light to fit into the cut out. There's just not enough room. Tried relocating the canister but ran into issues with the wheel liner not fitting back on. I need to work through this some more (before it rains).
Rolled fenders .... I learned that most MK3's have a rubberized coating sprayed on the rear panels which limits any potential cracking of the paint.
Pics to be posted this weekend

[Modified by TREK'in, 11:34 AM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Re: What I learned about .... (TREK'in)

quote:[HR][/HR]Rolled fenders .... I learned that most MK3's have a rubberized coating sprayed on the rear panels which limits any potential cracking of the paint.
[HR][/HR]​
Oh, that so isn't true. anyone who tries rolling should be very careful of their rear fender lips and the paint... it cracks like a mother.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What I learned about .... (Lobstrosity)

quote:[HR][/HR]Rolled fenders .... I learned that most MK3's have a rubberized coating sprayed on the rear panels which limits any potential cracking of the paint.

Oh, that so isn't true. anyone who tries rolling should be very careful of their rear fender lips and the paint... it cracks like a mother.[HR][/HR]​
Jeremy -
Perhaps not true to your specific vehicle. Notice I said "most" and I never said anything about NOT being careful . I also believe I used the words ... "limits potential cracking".
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What I learned about .... (VolkSchnell-GTI)

Hey Luke!
Thanks man! Yep - 9's will go on in a week or so. Getting ready to head out right now and put on the 17's (my dailies). I need to adjust the coils and want to get them squared away before I put on the 9ers ;-)
Pics are coming

·
Registered
6,760 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Jeremy -
Perhaps not true to your specific vehicle. Notice I said "most" and I never said anything about NOT being careful . I also believe I used the words ... "limits potential cracking".
Thanks for your input
[HR][/HR]​
I know, I was just posting that so if anyone does a search in the future and comes across this, they won't assume all will go smoothly. We have rolled the fenders on a few Mk3s (different years), and the rears have always caused trouble. Also, if you roll too aggresively on the rear, the fender lips will bunch up and cause waves to appear on the outside of the fender. Not pleasant.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: What I learned about .... (ramondvw)

quote:[HR][/HR]I realy don't know how much u learned when u had a bodyshop do yer basic mods[HR][/HR]​
Let me see ... since I was there at disassembly and assembly and also assisted with trouble shooting around the IC tubing I might say I learned quite a bit
And I wouldn't call a complete front end install "basic"

[Modified by TREK'in, 1:57 PM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What I learned about .... (Lobstrosity)

quote:[HR][/HR]Jeremy -
Thanks for your input

I know, I was just posting that so if anyone does a search in the future and comes across this, they won't assume all will go smoothly. We have rolled the fenders on a few Mk3s (different years), and the rears have always caused trouble. Also, if you roll too aggresively on the rear, the fender lips will bunch up and cause waves to appear on the outside of the fender. Not pleasant.
[HR][/HR]​
Jermey -
Overly read into your initial posting ... no harm intended. Thanks for the additional clarification http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17,762 Posts

Hey Steve,
Can't wait to see the final pics

Talk to Jeff (psi glx) about the side repeater. I swear I remember talking to him about the side marker not fitting, and he got it to fit.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: What I learned about .... (abtvento)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey Steve,
Can't wait to see the final pics

Talk to Jeff (psi glx) about the side repeater. I swear I remember talking to him about the side marker not fitting, and he got it to fit. [HR][/HR]​
Thanks Anthony! I'll ping him! Pics coming soon

·
Registered
10,691 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]pics pics pics pics http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by TREK'in, 9:23 AM 4-6-2002][HR][/HR]​
car looks good
2 things i would change ,if it was mine:
1)wheels (which you are http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif )
2)grille, too much white going on there imho
other than that, nice ride
btw, euro front is a pretty basic mod

·
Registered
519 Posts
Re: What I learned about .... (Boost Inside)

Car looks good.
I like those wheels.
You MUST get a better digicam and do up some artsy shots

Also w/ your fenders rolled now , you should try it lower http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Very Nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

Can someone tell me more about the side moldings on the doors? I have a white GTi and im very interested in getting some. How are they attached? Does Pottermans have em? How much $ are they? Thanks in advance for the info. Car looks great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.