VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering.... I got stopped and given a ticket... however I've just noticed that he's put my "State of Registration" as NSW instead of SA.

Could I be a smart ass and say "This notice is wrong" and get off the fine and more importantly the demerits... or would I piss off the Court?

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Does he have any other details wrong?

Has he quoted your MDL # on the ticket?

I don't think it will be enough. Go on 'fess up...what did you do wrong?
I had this happen in SA... The officer wrote my name wrong, my vehicles registration wrong and my license number wrong. I pointed this out and she ended up giving me a warning. I got pulled up for having foglights on at 11pm in the rain. I loved to get out of my car and stand in the cold and rain at her request. Retard!

·
Registered
20,620 Posts
I'm just wondering.... I got stopped and given a ticket... however I've just noticed that he's put my "State of Registration" as NSW instead of SA.

Could I be a smart ass and say "This notice is wrong" and get off the fine and more importantly the demerits... or would I piss off the Court?
Pay the fine.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

A 'mate' got off by proving to the court that the maximum speed of the car (lots of science - gear ratios, max revs, wheels and Tyres) was 210km hr versus the police's recorded speed of 235km Hr.

Having said that, pay the fine :)

·
Registered
4,455 Posts

Difficult to know how many mistakes he made in assessing your alleged offence. Seems his mind wasn't fully on the job at hand...

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Fair enough.. They're fog lights not rain lights, they dazzle and blind on coming traffic :)
I've an urge now I'm getting older to beat people with their fog lights on, it doesn't make the car cooler! (it either is or it isn't a cool car) :beer:

/rant:laugh:
They are actually white and considered driving lights. The switch is on the headlight stalk and can be permanently turned to on, but only come on when the cars headlights are on - seperate to the highbeam switch.

I'll go to Court if they give me a fine. There is nothing in the ADRs about white "auxilary" or driving lights... only fog lights with colored lenses. Just as the SA laws state they have to be dipped to passing traffic... if you look at the driving lights when they are on, they don't shine beyond 1m high - lower than low beam on my headlights.

I have a very dark grey car and if I don't drive around with all my headlights on, fuucking retards have a tendency to try to merge on you, do turns in front of you... Last week I was almost involved in 5 seperate accidents on the same road revolving around other people trying to drive into me. All of which I was doing the speed limit and driving in what I would consider a safe manner.

·
Banned
2,218 Posts
They are actually white and considered driving lights. The switch is on the headlight stalk and can be permanently turned to on, but only come on when the cars headlights are on - seperate to the highbeam switch.

I'll go to Court if they give me a fine. There is nothing in the ADRs about white "auxilary" or driving lights... only fog lights with colored lenses. Just as the SA laws state they have to be dipped to passing traffic... if you look at the driving lights when they are on, they don't shine beyond 1m high - lower than low beam on my headlights.

I have a very dark grey car and if I don't drive around with all my headlights on, fuucking retards have a tendency to try to merge on you, do turns in front of you... Last week I was almost involved in 5 seperate accidents on the same road revolving around other people trying to drive into me. All of which I was doing the speed limit and driving in what I would consider a safe manner.
RE the grey car, that's true for an hour or so before the street lights come on its a real problem, but i just turn my headlights on one click to turn on the actual driving lights, and not the "foglights" we know they aren't really.. but it saves having to argue it with a copper looking to be a prick.

I know people first hand who've learnt not to take such trivial matters to court, they're still found guilty and made to pay for the coppers and everyone else's time and get no joy. Much easier on the wallet and time to just pay it and move on.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
hate to tell you Todd, but there's nothing in the ADR's about foglights needing to be colored, and Driving lights are auxiliary lights that have to be wired so they turn OFF with high beam, and have to have a seperate switch to disable them as well (e.g. the ones I had on the mini).
You wouldn't have a leg to stand on if you tried to fight it.

edit:

quoted from someone who knows this stuff inside out on another forum:

"WHITE-OPTIC" or "SELECTIVE YELLOW" are permissible front fog color. 99% of new-market vehicles are equipped with white-optic variety and in nearly all cases are installed in the lower front bumper apron.

AUS made Fords have typically used a YELLOW telltale (pilot light) with that ISO symbol for front fog lights, whilst the rest of the world team uses GREEN for front fogs-on, and YELLOW for rear fog-on, instead.

Reason why this is so; some dumbarse Aussie working at Hella-AUS made it so citing no ADR/UNECE requirement as to lamp-pilot-light-function color, forgetting ISO sets this, duh.

NB - A pilot-light/telltale is mandatory for the rear fog circuit, is optional for front fog and aftermarket driving lamp installs, but again is mandatory for a cars regular high-beams.

Front fogs per ADR are wired to allow operation when a cars headlight switch is on park, low or high-beam. The premium position is to have the headlight switch on 'park' (ie sidelights), and the front fogs on. Does a couple of things for safety; 1. reduces 'reflected glare' in heavy fog et al conditions caused even by low-beam headlights; 2. allows the front indicators to stand out more clearly to other traffic because they are then not masked by the cars regular low-beam.

FURTHER (lamp identification) - The lamp IS a front fog lamp IF it bears on the lens, typically near the "E-mark" (the letter 'E' and a number next to it in a circle, eg; E13), the designation "02B" or "B". The letter B is relevant here and represents ADR/UNECE "front fog lamp compliance".

Now, a 'driving lamp' bears the designation "HR", eg; HR-P means the lamp is a "halogen driving lamp bearing a plastic lens". The letter "R" is relevant for a driving lamp.

A 'driving lamp' supplements a cars standardised high-beam performance, and in aftermarket installs *must* have its own independent switch, but can only operate if the cars regular high-beam switch is also activated.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.