VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
There's a chance that I'm getting my new R in March and even though that's the beginning of spring, I just don't want summer tires on my daily driver. If I tell the dealership this, will they replace the summers that come stock on the R with a tire of my choice and keep the summers? I'd be happy to do an even swap? How does this work? Sorry for such a noob question and thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

· Registered
1,647 Posts
Depends on the dealer, but most are not that excited about swapping. Some will swap out and give you a credit towards new tires, but the "trade in" value usually tends to suck. Still worth at least asking

Answer as to what to do sort of depends on your climate or budget. Also may be able to take tires and sell them on-line....I've done that multiple times on the VW Vortex regional classified forums pretty easily, most recently last year when I sold my MK6R...knowing my 17" winter set-up wouldn't fit the MK8 R

· Registered
2022 DBP Golf RRRR
981 Posts
Depends on the dealer, but most are not that excited about swapping. Some will swap out and give you a credit towards new tires, but the "trade in" value usually tends to suck. Still worth at least asking

Answer as to what to do sort of depends on your climate or budget. Also may be able to take tires and sell them on-line....I've done that multiple times on the VW Vortex regional classified forums pretty easily, most recently last year when I sold my MK6R...knowing my 17" winter set-up wouldn't fit the MK8 R
This. My dealer offered me $100CAD per tire if they kept the Bridgestones that came with my R. $400 isn't going to go far towards replacing them with 4 pilots this spring, so I'll run them until bald and replace with the tire of my choice. I guess you could put something else on there and try your luck selling them privately.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll definitely see what the dealership will do for me first. To add to the complication here, I’m picking my R up from two states over. If i want to get them changed out, I guess I’ll need to drive home on the summers and change them out when I get back.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
I’ll definitely see what the dealership will do for me first. To add to the complication here, I’m picking my R up from two states over. If i want to get them changed out, I guess I’ll need to drive home on the summers and change them out when I get back.
Look on Craigslist and FB Marketplace for 5x112 18's
Stop-gap wheels/tires until the season changes
Then you'll have beater winter wheels.
Vs. attempting to negotiate w/dealer in a sellers market and/or eating the value of the factory rubber.

· Registered
2022 DBP Golf RRRR
981 Posts
My dealer gave me a very good price on winters. They swapped them onto the stock wheels and put the summers in the back for the drive home. Granted, 18s would be nicer for winter than 19s, but I wasn't able to find anything I liked in time to pick up the car as it became available much sooner than I had anticipated.

· Registered
MK8 Golf R DSG - Pure White
431 Posts
I asked my dealer if I could do a swap for all seasons (Conti DWS06 plus) - but they said they couldn't resell the stock tires as new since they were driven on. I just bought some winter wheels and tires instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.