VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (GolfFanatic2)

When you have an auto transmition, you put it in neutral, floor it, and dump it into drive. Very bad for the tranny.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (RJetta8V)

quote:[HR][/HR]When you have an auto transmition, you put it in neutral, floor it, and dump it into drive. Very bad for the tranny.[HR][/HR]​
Heh...my brother and I performed a few (okay, quite a few) neutral drops on my mom's (non-turbo) LeBaron GTS when we were young and stupid. I'm surprised that tranny didn't just drop to the pavement in protest.

[Modified by xdre, 12:19 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (xdre)

quote:[HR][/HR]Heh...my brother and I performed a few (okay, quite a few) neutral drops on my mom's (non-turbo) LeBaron GTS when we were young and stupid. I'm surprised that tranny didn't just drop to the pavement in protest.
[HR][/HR]​
I did ONE in my mom's Villager. Now I know why people like the VG30's so much.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What is a neutral drop? (RJetta8V)

thats what i thought it was, damn, i don't think i'll ever try that in my dub

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]thats what i thought it was, damn, i don't think i'll ever try that in my dub[HR][/HR]​
You have an auto?

·
Registered
2006 Lexus GS300, 2011 Nissan Leaf
36,950 Posts
Um, I had to replace the tranny in my mother's 510 when I was a kid doing neutral drops. Put my savings back five years, and thus five years of driving sh1tboxes. Yucky. Very bad, no do, no do!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (CanuckPal)

quote:[HR][/HR]Good, a 510 shouldn't have an autobox anyways.
[HR][/HR]​
Amen. Its already slow enough as it is, with its dominating 1.6 liter engine.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (wolfsburg_de)

quote:[HR][/HR]Guys, there's only one type of car where a neutral drop is acceptable. That would be a rental car.

Reverse drops are even more fun.
[HR][/HR]​
Ah yes the rental car! The preferred vehicle of neutral drops.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts

Ooooooh very bad, my slushbox has nightmares about those. Someone I knew in high school had an '84 190E Diesel. He loved neutral drops, and the Benz ate about three trannies in the course of a year.

·
Registered
16,243 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (WolfsburgTekniques)

Neutral drops are why I will never buy a former rental car

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (Hawkmoon)

stupid jaguars wont let you neutral drop..it kills the throttle before switching into gear. even in an xkr you cant get a whole ton of wheelspin. we still tried it all the time anyway

-b

·
Registered
4,598 Posts

When I was young and stupid, I did my fair share of neutral drops on my Reliant K-car. Never had tranny problems, so I guess I was very fortunate the car made it to 200,000 km before being junked.
I've since discovered brake torquing a much "safer" and controllable alterative.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (matt007)

....ooh poop
I do neutral drops every single chance I get in parents 2000 Cavalier 2.0 *gulp*
I did it in the older (still newer design) cavalier and never had any problems
poop man
but I don't always do them from a stop, usually while coasting, I'll rev, and when the revs start dropping slightly I gear it and floor it
sounds good

is it the same thing if I do it while coasting??

cause i do this on a daily basis and I do it VERY aggressively, 100% throttle

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Re: What is a neutral drop? (dj_wawa)

quote:[HR][/HR]is it the same thing if I do it while coasting??[HR][/HR]​
Yes. It's a sudden gear engagement when there is a large differential between wheelspeed and engine speed. Like I said above, I used to subject my old Reliant K-car to neutral drops on a regular basis and the tranny was still running fine at 200,000 km, but I was probably the exception.

Try brake torquing instead. Same effect, much less harmful.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts