VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've fixed just about every little creak in my '01 GTI, including the infamous door panels. However, there is still this loud, annoying creaking coming from what sounds like the rear quarter on the inside near the hatch (probably something just above the suspension strut housing). I noticed the same thing in my '99 GTI but it was definitely not as loud or frequent and so I never pursued it.
The dealer, of course, can fix it. It especially creaks when the frame gets twisted by, say, entering a steep driveway. But it also will creak when just driving down the road making little steering adjustments and going over bumps. It is NOT anything coming from the front of the car or the side doors. Trust me, it is coming from the back. I've tried removing all the panels I could and pounded on a few things, but nothing changes. Help, it's driving me crazy!! It's the LAST thing I need fixed to be 100% happy with my car!
-David

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (dcuyg)

I have the same problem. I took it in and was told it was the seat leather. Do you have leather seats? I think it is coming from under the seat where the hing is. I want to track it down also.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts

I am having the same problem. I thought I was going crazy at first. My buddys mom has a 2.0 99 GTI and she has the same problems. They thought it was the suspension and I told them it wasn't. I am convinced there is nothing the dealership can do to fix this problem. I brought the car 3 times and each time they said they fixed it. I hear you and feel your pain. Yes the noise does come from the back and you only feel it when going over little bumps. I hear it when I enter my driveway but like you said you can hear it once in a while when driving on roads. What do we do????

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (peppeVR6)

I had some creaking from the rear and originally thought it was coming from the door hinges. But it was actually coming from the folding rear seat latch area. Lubed it up and no more creaks.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (uv23)

it could be the rear hatch itself but I think its the shock housing, where it connects to the body. Look up in your wheel well you'll see where its bolted up top, spray some lube under that area, between the body and that plate on the shock where its bolted. Take a test drive you'll hear the creaking diminish over the first block or two until it disappears. I did this and I cant tell you how satisfying it was.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (dygoro)

This forum ROCKS! I knew I get some good responses. I'll try the recommendations here and let you know.
To "jimk75", yes I have leather (don't all GTI VR6s?).
To "howing", I used black electrical tape on the "U" bolt sticking out of the door frame, and a little silicon lube in the latch mechanism. The door panel creaking went away instantly. Every now and then, however, I have to reapply the electrical tape, as it gets worn off.
Wow, I never knew other people had such a problem with this because I've never seen this topic posted on the forum before.
-David

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

I've got a creak in my rear side panels as well, used to think it was the doors until I had a rear passenger and they pinpointed it... anyways, I was at my 20k service and brought it up, figuring they'd take a peak swquirt it with some lube and I'd be set for a while, but no, they looked at it, saw that I'd run a power wire back for an amp/sub and said it was my fault it was creaking, though it had been doing it beforehand. They said I snapped some of the plastic clips holding the panel on (two were crushed from the factory as I found when I first took it off, had to buy new ones from the dealer). So I go to take off the panel one day, and find two of the clips sitting on the rear floor, take the panel off, yup they didn't replace two of the clips, nice of them.
To the point, I didn't get the squeek that time, but going to take the panels off and put a layer of grease on everything
the other plan is to find a fabric store and get some self adhesive felt stuff and paste that all over.
-slug

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (UPDATE: FIXED!!)

UPDATE: I can't believe it was that simple, but I put a little electrical tape on the rear seat latch (the "bolt" that sticks out) and so far I don't hear any more creaking! My first test was to drive home with the rear seats down and I didn't notice any creaking so I figured that must have been it! What the hell is up with VW's latching mechanisms! I used the same electical tape fix to stop creaking on both my door panels, too. How crazy they can't fix this in production!! But I'm so happy my car is now 100%! If the creaking comes back I'll try the lube spray. Thanks, dubbers!
-David

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (selnashar)

Ahh, you hadn't taped the hooks! good job
Removing the panels is fun...
keep in mind that this stuff is mainly plastics that can break so I'm absolving myself of guilt (this is from memory though I plan on doing it later today/tomorrow so hopefully I won't miss anything!)
Ok, so take out your seats and seatbacks.
On the back of the panel there's a plastic nub that you twist off.
On the front along the door you see that the panel kinda hooks onto the door area, you pop that into the car slightly so it isn't holding anymore, now you can lift the whole panel up slightly which will pull it from the clips along the window and the few holding it on the parcel area. once those are off it should be pretty much free to pull towards you except for the tweeter speaker wires which you reach around and uclip.
Now dig around and find all of the plastic clips that probably popped all over the place, there should be, umm, four of them (although my dealer thinks putting two on is good enough) these clips may look kinda mangled and cost a couple of bucks from the dealer, but most likely they are still fine to use.
Now you get to grease/felt/tape up whatever you can and hopefully fix it, I also left the tweeter unplugged based on some audiophile advice I'd gotten but I think I may plug it back in to try that for a bit.
Putting the panel back on is more of a challenge, you'll want to have the plastic clips on the panel in their spots, and the window clips also on the panel, line everything up, making sure your seatbelt is out of the way, and curse for a while as you try and get the window clips onto the ledge. Once that and the rear metal clips are back on, make sure the plastic clips are lined up with their holes (ok, you can't see them) and push them each till they click or you crush them.
good luck, basic advice for all work applies, go slow, try not to break anything, I'm sure the panel will cost you a few hundred dollars new.
-slug

·
Registered
808 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Wow, I never knew other people had such a problem with this because I've never seen this topic posted on the forum before.
[HR][/HR]​
you will soon realize that *every* possible topic has already been posted! This creaking has been discussed before, and can have various sources. For me and a few others it was the rear shock mount, as stated by dygoro. Spray some lube up there and it could do the trick.

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (jcha)

Holy S--t! I have the exact same problem on my '02. I'm going to try spraying it or taping it tonight. Now I'll just have that buzzing passenger side door pannel from the Monsoon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (hawc)

Just try taping the "hook" that the rear seats latch onto (with black electrical tape or duct tape, of course!) . That's ALL I did and the creaking is GONE, GONE, GONE!!
Regarding the buzzing Monsoon speaker, I have that problem, too, but never thought of posting it here. If anyone knows about that please help out. I don't think mine is too bad but every little bit helps!
-David

·
Registered
350 Posts

What I thought was the door latch making all of that darned creaking and knocking noise for 7 months was actually that metal rear seat latch on the car, as well. Put some masking tape around it and all gone!! Someone should publish a manual on how to eliminate the 101 creaks and rattles on your new VW!!!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (Golfn'it)

I also taped my folding seat latches and ALL rear creaking is GONE GONE GONE YAAAY!
I also retaped all my door latches. my golf never sounded so quite. I have one vibration left, and I know it is the plastic door lock pin in the rear on the drivers side. All I have to do is touch the top lightly and the buzzing stops. I'll try to get soem tape or lubricant in there.
dc

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (slugman)

ALL:
what do you expect from a Mexican made car.
besides...its' not like it's a BMW or a Mercedes...therefore we pay for the inconveniences. Half @ssed built cars.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (jsbache)

quote:[HR][/HR]what do you expect from a Mexican made car.[HR][/HR]​
You do realize his 2001 GTI GLX is a Brazilian made car? Oh, I guess not. Well, if you don't know what you're talking about, why should we listen to anything you have to say?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: What is creaking in REAR interior panel?? (dmkozak)

I bought my GTI GLX last Dec 2000 and it was made in Wolfsburg Germany. I think it was one of the last ones made there. I have all the squeeks and creeks! Production date was July 2000.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.