VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ralph,
I'm looking to put in the 0.72 5th gear into my 2001.5 Golf 4dr 1.8T. I'm wondering what is included in the kit for $299. Sometimes I see references to there being 2 gears, other times I see 2 gears plus some gaskets and tools, etc. Are those other parts only included in 020 kits, perhaps?
I'm looking to install this in September, so any info on the 0.72 is welcomed.
Regards,
Mark

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: What is included in the 0.72 5th gear kit for 02J? (Schoolbus)

Mark, you are correct--the shift fork tool, gasket, and locknuts etc are included in the fifth gear conversion kits for the 8v and 16v 020 transmissions. The fifth gear kits for 02A and 02J transmissions include just the two gears themselves.
Unfortunately we are still trying to source the gears for the 02A/02J kit, as those gears are proving to be quite elusive in the USA!

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What is included in the 0.72 5th gear kit for 02J? (Ryan @ Autotech)

Ryan,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Regards,
Mark

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Re: What is included in the 0.72 5th gear kit for 02J? (Ryan @ Autotech)

Which tranny comes stock with these .72 gear sets. I am in Germany and I could order them directly from the dealership with discounts

Just need the part number tranny code or anything to reference them.
Thanks,
Adrian

· Registered
15,861 Posts
Re: What is included in the 0.72 5th gear kit for 02J? (Schoolbus)

Im interested in this kit for my 1998 TDI. I'm quite certain it's either a 02A or 02J, pretty sure the latter.
I think the factory ratio is like .75 or .76, so .72 would be a perfect addition for me.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Re: What is included in the 0.72 5th gear kit for 02J? (RogueTDI)

the gears you need, as provided by [email protected], are"
P/N 02a 311 361m
02a 311 158r
these gears are available in certain european trannys.
For example any tranny coded CAT, or ASD, which can be found in:
Passat 88-94, Polo 97-00, and certain Golf III's.
Best thing to do if you find a used one and are thinking about swapping the gears out of it, is to check the VIN to see what tranny code you have and then check in ETKA to see what ratios they are...
you need 33/46 ratio = .72 (rounded up)
hope this helps!
BTW, I can get these gears for you direct from the dealer here in Germany. I priced them yesterday and it came out to 190 euro, and the end plate gasket was 8 euro. So, all together it's about $255, then add shipping...
Perhaps if more people need these I can get a bulk discount. I can ship USPS from here so it would be cheap shipping

Let me know,

Adrian

Modified by El Romano Loco at 7:57 AM 9-23-2005

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What is included in the 0.72 5th gear kit for 02J? (El Romano Loco)

I'd possibly be interested in these as well. It seems the US is currently backordered on these parts.
Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.