VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am scrounging a 16v engine and trans swap from a passat that is destined for the junkyard and i need to know wat all is required for the swap. Also Will the passat dash bolt into a 83 rabbit?? thanks

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Use the search and then ask questions if you cant find what your looking for. It has been covered many times. The 16v FAQ is at the top of the page.

Modified by ALLGORIMSHOW at 10:05 PM 2-3-2010

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: What is needed to swap a 16v from a early 90's passat into a mk1 rabbit? (83rabbitnut)

I am in the process of the exact same swap kind of, my rabbit is a diesel which made it a bit more involved but not too much more. you will not be able to use the passats trans as it is hydo. clutch and cable shift, i just used the rabbits stock trans with the 16v motor. youll have to use the rabbits clutch also as the passats trans has a different input shaft spline count. basically just swap your motor mounts to the 16v, youll need to buy a mk1 16v exhaust manifold and downpipe as the passats will not work, it hits on the shift linkage. to make the swap a bit easier youll want a scirracco intake manifold, fuel dist. and fuel lines with airbox, but i just made a custom airbox and kept the passats intake on the 16v motor.
If you have both cars the swap will be very easy and you wont need to buy too many other parts, depending on your creative skills and how much you want to spend on the swap. for sure though you will need the exhaust manifold and downpipe, other then that its pretty much just swap over parts from car to car. Just start the swap and youll find out what youll all have to do as you get to that point. it really isnt that hard, just a little intimidating.
The dashes will not swap, the passat is wider then the rabbits/
Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What is needed to swap a 16v from a early 90's passat into a mk1 rabbit? (slippy4)

thanks for the info! my rabbit is an auto but i have the linkage and pedals for a conversion just no trans, ill have to find one. and thanks for the dash info too. Good luck with your swap! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: What is needed to swap a 16v from a early 90's passat into a mk1 rabbit? (83rabbitnut)

Quote, originally posted by 83rabbitnut »
my rabbit is an auto but i have the linkage and pedals for a conversion just no trans, :

Automatic car will also need a manual shift steering rack to bolt the relay lever shaft bracket onto. Also, when you replace the baseplate for the shift lever-- make sure you get one from a 5 speed as the 4 speed baseplates make setting your linkage spacing a real PITA...
I forget when I bought my Caddy (1995?). It has gone through many transformations. Originally a 4 speed 1.7 with a lot of issues-- it has progressed from a jh 1.8/4k "GTI Truck" to a 154whp
(dynoed at Techtonics) 2.0 16V/AGB quaife daily driver. Over the past 15 years, I've seen a LOT of people do "carve em "conversions (some even won trophies at VW meets
) which eventually nickel and dimed them away from A1s, leaving non-running cars sitting as parts donors while the owners walked away in disgust saying "VW sucks".
KEY THING IF YOU WANT FEWER HEADACHES- for the basics- emulate (wherever possible) what the factory did. If you want a reliable 16V A1, pull as many parts as you can from a Scirocco 16V.
Another grief saver for an engine swapper is to buy Bentley manuals for both your A1 and your donor vehicle. They will come in handy, as will an ETKA, and (to be totally honest) alternative transportation (while you sort the bugs out).
Sorry about the rant. If I piled my receipts for the conversion, all together- even considering I have a garage, all the tools, full metalshop/fabrication access and do the work myself-- "doing it reliable" wasn't cheap.
Be prepared.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What is needed to swap a 16v from a early 90's passat into a mk1 rabbit? (BFDeihl)

good thing is i have a 83 gti rolling chassis that has all the linkage, and steering rack in it still. and i have the bentley manual for all the rabbits, so im halfway there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Always good to have a parts car... Lots of upgraded parts to get from that 83 gti too. The tranny has a 3.94 r/p and was a big reason why the early Gtis were so quick in their day. Works real well with a 16v conversion too... Just be sure to install a bolt kit.
Another easy "plug and play' is the GTI dash nacelle. While the 83s had the 85mph speedo, the 84s went to z 115mph one. Either dash is prewired to give you a working tach instead of the schoolhouse sized clock.
Best of luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by BFDeihl at 11:36 PM 2-6-2010

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: What is needed to swap a 16v from a early 90's passat into a mk1 rabbit? (BFDeihl)

forgot to ask, will i need to change the wiring harness to put the 16v in? or will i need to get the computer and harness from the passat?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

If you want to run CIS-M, yes, get the harness, fuel distributor,fpr,and ecu. Have you decided yet whether you are going with A1(Scirocco 16V) or A2 intake?
I've seen sanitary swaps either side, but I went Scirocco iintake as I felt it would be easier to make it look factory. If you decide to go that route, Mike Potter (Virtual World) sells very nice thread adapters to mate the larger pintle CIS-M injectors to the Scirocco CIS-E lines.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

im not sure which intake im going to use yet, but thanks for all the help with my questions http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
840 Posts

I have a 84 GTI with a 9A (2,0 16v) and 2H tranny and it rips!! started out with racco intake and now run MK2 intake with MegaSquirt with 317cc bosh injectors. if you want more power go MS. i do have the knock box and brain for CIS-E with the correct harness all ready to go in a MK1 if you need it. Its plug and play, no fuse box mods, 3 wires under the hood and pluge it in. $100 for the hole thing. if you need it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: What is needed to swap a 16v from a early 90's passat into a mk1 rabbit? (Jones84)

right now i have no clue, i havent had the chance to tear into the passat as its sitting at a friends house in the woods and the recent snow has delayed my plans. thanks though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.