VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
11,960 Posts
A fully rebuilt ported & polished w/ big valves generally make the most power. But any of the big valve GTI heads should all be pretty similar, the biggest diff would be either solid or hydraulic lifters.

· Registered
515 Posts
Solid lifter is better in my opinion. Porting, valves, springs and cam are all variables to consider though and whats available to you. I have run both types of heads and in my experience the solid lifter ones have always ran better for me. Hope this helps:thumbup:

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so what yr. and what model would be the best is what i should have asked and how can you tell the difference in the heads between solid or hydraulic lifters? the one that i have is out of a the 83 rabbit gti with the proper work done to this head would it be a good one ? or should i look for another ?

and thanks for the other sugestions

· Registered
11,960 Posts
That is a good head. Of the stock heads, 8V crossflow, as far as flow goes, they are the same, with minor diff between the german and mexican casts. But, it it is worked, they should all come out equal. Depends on if you want to stick with solid lifters or go hydraulic. And depends on the any rule(s) restrictions for porting/port matching and other limitations. You could also get a ported intake mani from scientificrabbit to add that last little bit. I have wanted to get one for some time, but can quite get the coin together and justify one yet for the dd.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well im doing a carbed monster and im looking to stay solid .... but i have heard some stuff bout a head with no injector ports ?? what is the code for this head and where can one be got? i have seen them on 1.5 .6 .7L old carbed engines but not on 1.8L from what i have read they was out of south africa if someone had one id like to do some dealing with them

:thumbup:let me know anything you got, much appreciated

· Registered
11,960 Posts
For a Head brought to the US, that is going to most likely be a built 1.6 carb head. And with the narrower valve centers on those, maxing out the valve size will be harder to fit the biggest valves.
That leaves trying to find a Euro head that was carbed and has the wider valve spacing, I don't know it they exist.

· Registered
631 Posts

Kid not included, what are you offering? Can take more pics if you want.

· Registered
631 Posts
Germany, see the stamp on the third picture. :p

It's either a 1.6 or a 1.7, I've got two of them and I can't remember which is which but they're exactly the same.

Let me know either way.

· Registered
10,420 Posts
Can you give us a better picture of the front (spark plug side) of the head and the port side of the head? I'm seeing something on one of those pictures that makes me think it might be a cylinder head from a 79/80 Dodge Omni which used VW motors but I can't quite see enough of the head to be certain.

In any event, this isn't the best cylinder head to use on a 1.8L race engine. Personally, I think the cylinder head from an 83 gti, is one of the best choices.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
agreed but im not liking the fact of just plugging the injector ports and then porting/polishing it cause it would still be slowing the cfm's i know it wouldnt be that big of a deal but when your trying for all motor carbed you need all you can get right

· Registered
226 Posts
Are you building a 1.6 or 1.8 motor. I have a 1.6 MWE head that has been gone thru by Bertils. Yes it is a an injected head but it has been plugged and epoxy filled. It also has oversized cam buckets and has been clearanced for .500+ lift cams. The combustion chamber has been cc'd at 23.7cc. This is a fully preped Gt4/Gtlite SCCA head just waiting for your cam. I was running a Web 206 grind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.