VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a car i got for free that i want to take all the paint off and then paint Flat Black

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (MK3)

I know a car wash does does a damn good job of taking paint off. Maybe just run it through 3 times and you're good to go.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,459 Posts
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (Iron Sun)

Quote, originally posted by Iron Sun »
I know a car wash does does a damn good job of taking paint off. Maybe just run it through 3 times and you're good to go.

Was your car painted with watercolors?

·
Banned
13,344 Posts

best way: complete strip down, then acid dip.
2nd best way: partial disassembly and media blast.
3rd best way: chemical stripper.
4th best way: 3M rolocs
Why not just sand it down a bit, then shoot on some black paint with a flattening agent?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (Hostile)

Quote, originally posted by Hostile »

Was your car painted with watercolors?

Sorry, forgot my "This is a joke" emoticon

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,731 Posts
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (vduBen)

Quote, originally posted by vduBen »

This stuff looks pretty cool for DIY'ers. I keep seeing it on all the restoration/rebuild car TV shows. It looks like you just brush it on then scrape all of the paint off. I wonder how many layers it will go through.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

best way: complete strip down, then acid dip.
2nd best way: partial disassembly and media blast.
4th best way: 3M rolocs

add this method:
a heavy duty pressure washer, turned all the way up will also strip paint off. you can get just about everything off with that... paint, weatherstripping, insulation, etc.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

obin

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (BltByKrmn)

Quote, originally posted by BltByKrmn »

This stuff looks pretty cool for DIY'ers. I keep seeing it on all the restoration/rebuild car TV shows. It looks like you just brush it on then scrape all of the paint off. I wonder how many layers it will go through.

any idea what this stuff is called/costs?

·
Registered
458 Posts

You could take the paint off and make it black at the same time!

Or if your doing it at home and have the "call the law" type of neighbors I'd go with this approach
Why not just sand it down a bit, then shoot on some black paint with a flattening agent?

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MK3 »

yeah, just look for "aircraft paint stripper" at an automotive shop like Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.
i got a can of it years ago. nasty fumes! make sure you wear a gas mask of some sort and work in a well ventilated area.
obin

·
Registered
4,979 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MK3 »

I spent the weekend helping my friend strip is car so he can paint it. We used some stuff called Jasco paint stripper. It works well but let me forwarn you, use it in an open area because the fumes are toxic, and use thick rubber gloves cause if even the tinyist bit gets on your skin it burns like the devil

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (Tristan)

Quote, originally posted by Tristan »

It works well but let me forwarn you, use it in an open area because the fumes are toxic, and use thick rubber gloves cause if even the tinyist bit gets on your skin it burns like the devil

let me add a bit more:
when i used it: i had on an Israeli Civil Defense gas mask (don't ask), i had on latex gloves, AND i was using a fan to blow fumes away from the car. this stuff works but it does smell bad.
in retrospect, the thing that worked best for my application when i had to strip paint off of the 924 (to redo the interior), was using a heat gun, and a drill-mounted rotary wire brush.
obin

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (Obin Robinson)

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

add this method:
a heavy duty pressure washer, turned all the way up will also strip paint off. you can get just about everything off with that... paint, weatherstripping, insulation, etc.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

obin

I can vouch for this, one of the sales guys at the steel stockholder my brother worked for used the pressure washer they use for cleaning off the steel to clean off his car. One quick blast and he had an 8" wide silver stripe on his black door. That may well have used an abrasive though.
There's a mechine that they use to break up the top few inches of concrete bridges for rebuilding, it uses water jets through saphire nozels to remove three inches of concrete and clean the steel at the same time.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: What is the best way to take all the paint off a car? (Obin Robinson)

i have a heat gun
will it just heat up the paint enough so it will scrape odd easy or is it more complicated?

·
Banned
13,344 Posts

Why are you hell-bent on removing all the paint? factory paint proves to be an excellent primer and offers great protection under another color coat...

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

because i thought i had to remove the old paint so it would have a clean smooth surface to apply the new paint to

·
Banned
13,344 Posts

It's not necessary, trust me. Just spend some time blocking it out (make sure to de-grease the entire body before you start sanding so you don't push grease into the paint), lay down a good coat of epoxy primer and shoot your color...easy as that (well, not easy, but simple).

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

should i sand it down a little first?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts

I've tried this and it gets really messy. It also gets all over the place and stinks worse than ass.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts