VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

The keys to my MK7 golf have this weird nub on them. It keeps working itself out over time. I've had the dealership look at them and all they did was tap it way down into the key. That was in January and now it's poking back out. Anyone else experience this? Is it necessary?

Link to photos

·
James Steed
12,194 Posts
Hey all.

The keys to my MK7 golf have this weird nub on them. It keeps working itself out over time. I've had the dealership look at them and all they did was tap it way down into the key. That was in January and now it's poking back out. Anyone else experience this? Is it necessary?

Link to photos
How many things are on your keychain with the VW key? Is it a lot?
It could be flexing enough to work it's way out. It's also really bad for the ignition switch and it will fail after a while from the weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It looks like a very tiny roll pin on mine. These are used in all sorts of mechanisms as a retainer; the pin itself is made of rolled up spring steel and expands to fit tight in the bore.

or

If yours keeps slipping out you could get a new roll pin, if you took careful measurements and ordered one, then used a pin punch to drive the old one out and the new one in.

If you don't want to do that, a spot of super glue on either end could work, just make sure it's in the fully-seated position and let the glue set completely before sticking it back in your pocket.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many things are on your keychain with the VW key? Is it a lot?
It could be flexing enough to work it's way out. It's also really bad for the ignition switch and it will fail after a while from the weight.
Hardly anything. I have a key ring with 3 other keys on it. That's it!

Also, the photos is how much it protrudes after 6 months. It's nothing serious, but I have cut myself on it pretty badly recently. It broke the skin. No bleeding though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.