VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2017 Beetle last night and this was in the glove box. Can someone tell me what it's for? I'm guessing some sort of tow hook? Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Beetle Turbo, Reef Blue Metallic
125 Posts
I bought a 2017 Beetle last night and this was in the glove box. Can someone tell me what it's for? Thanks! View attachment 59605
Thats a tow loop/hook for if your Beetle needed to be pulled somewhere. It threads into a reinforced point behind the front or rear bumper (its hidden behind the little circular cap on the passenger side of the front bumper and on the drivers side of the rear bumper.) The point of it is so a tow truck can hook a winch to your bug and pull it without damaging the car. A tow truck driver might do that if the bug is in a garage or a narrow driveway or somewhere they can't get their truck to fit, so they pull the car out to their truck.

Usually, the tow loop/hook is in the foam toolkit in the trunk on top of the spare tire, along with the wheel lock, the hubcap/lug cap removal tool (looks like a metal loop with a little hook at the end), a screwdriver, jack, and lug wrench.

Enjoy your bug!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a tow loop/hook for if your Beetle needed to be pulled somewhere. It threads into a reinforced point behind the front or rear bumper (its hidden behind the little circular cap on the passenger side of the front bumper and on the drivers side of the rear bumper.) The point of it is so a tow truck can hook a winch to your bug and pull it without damaging the car. A tow truck driver might do that if the bug is in a garage or a narrow driveway or somewhere they can't get their truck to fit, so they pull the car out to their truck.

Usually, the tow loop/hook is in the foam toolkit in the trunk on top of the spare tire, along with the wheel lock, the hubcap/lug cap removal tool (looks like a metal loop with a little hook at the end), a screwdriver, jack, and lug wrench.

Enjoy your bug!
Thank you so much for the information! It is very much appreciated! 🙂

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition! We have a 2019 cabrio with those wheels and I must say that they are growing on me, the cushy ride with the thicker sidewall tires is a nice plus.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The point of it is so a tow truck can hook a winch to your bug and pull it without damaging the car. A tow truck driver might do that if the bug is in a garage or a narrow driveway or somewhere they can't get their truck to fit, so they pull the car out to their truck.
Had to use one of those in a regular parking lot when the starter on my 2006 Jetta TDI totally died a mile from the dealership. Helped the winch drag the car up on the flat bed tow truck. Best part was getting to show the tow truck operator how to install said hook. It was like he'd never seen one before, and didn't expect it to be reverse thread. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I too had to install the tow eyelet one time I was towed on a flatbed. The tow truck operator was going to put hooks on my control arms.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Congrats!

I've found the tow hook also useful for using as a stabilizing point for a tie down for a hitch mounted bike rack or cargo tray. Hopefully never have to use it for its intended purpose!

I also discovered that changing up the color on those factory 16" wheels and some caliper paint allows for a nice overall change to the appearance of the car. Plus, you still keep the comfortable ride, cheap replacement tires, and high sidewall protection for the wheels from curbs (things that are necessary when my wife drives it!).
101446755_10222848922671894_6495320694333636608_o.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts