VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how most people warm their cars up in the morning. What temp do you wait for? Do you wait for the idle to slow down? Being a turbo I was just curious if any extra car is being given.
I personally wait for the idle to kick down and then keep below 3500 until at 190F.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (CuStOm)

Turn it on, pull out of the parking lot, down to the end of the street, cross over the otherside, hang a right onto the freeway on ramp and floor it. Just like getting your morning fix of coffee or a cigarette, then sit back, relax and slow down.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Turn key once in ON possition. Wait till most of the lights goes off and fuel pump is finished loading - total of 5-8 sec.
Start the car and wait the rpms to go below 1000.
Drive the car below 3k till it hits 190 on the temp metter. Give it a few more miles to make sure oil is all warm and then floor it

This is my daily procedures. I hate it sometimes when I'm in a hurry, but I always do it or I feel bad

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (dex)

quote:[HR][/HR]Turn key once in ON possition. Wait till most of the lights goes off and fuel pump is finished loading - total of 5-8 sec.
Start the car and wait the rpms to go below 1000.
Drive the car below 3k till it hits 190 on the temp metter. Give it a few more miles to make sure oil is all warm and then floor it

This is my daily procedures. I hate it sometimes when I'm in a hurry, but I always do it or I feel bad

[HR][/HR]​
thats exctly what i do http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (Bora18t)

my old Cabrio was get in and go.......I do the same thing listed above when starting my car in the am! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (Bora18t)

The manual says several things but people pick and choose what to do. The manual doesn't feel the car needs a turbo timer but people still use them. Warming up the car is always good but like I said, people will pick and choose what they like.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (tyrolkid)

wait about 1 min til the idle hit right below 1000 rpms.... pull out of driveway...take it easy til the temp is near half way up and then... what ever happens...happens....

mike

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (Silvino)

Every time i start in the morning i turn the car on with the key and press on the gas for a little rev to get it going. Othewise it will end up turning off for some reason. Probably due to the MAF failure i have.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (Brown E)

Start car, shift at 3k till water temp is nomral, then rev till I feel like shifting and in general beat the snot out of the snot rocket
Mike

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (VWMike81)

quote:[HR][/HR]Start car, shift at 3k till water temp is nomral, then rev till I feel like shifting and in general beat the snot out of the snot rocket
Mike[HR][/HR]​
i do the same thing.
i dont think its advisable to start your car and let it idle to warm up, sure its better for the environment to warm up your cat (since you are running rich)
but at the same time u got h20 forming inside your combustion chamber, couple that with sulphurous gas and hypochlorous gas and thats what eats at your cars metal

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: What is your daily warm-up procedure for your car? (Silvino)

quote:[HR][/HR]The manual says several things but people pick and choose what to do.[HR][/HR]​
That's true but the manual also specifically says letting the car idle to warm up is very bad for the enviroment. In my experience, it takes about 5 to 10 minutes of idling to warm up to operating temperature, or 2 minutes if driving slowly, or 1 minute of highway driving.
My morning ritual:
Open door and take the seat.
Turn key to on but not start.
Put on my seat belt.
Put shifter in neutral.
Start the car.
Drive off and granny shift at 2000-2500 rpm until warmed up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.