VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread is aghast at grabbing money from your 401k to buy a car (as we should) but lets you want to say "Fudge it!". What is your realistic YOLO car? Throwing caution to the wind this weekend, what are you buying by cashing out your savings, grabbing HELOCs, and going nuts. Your partner might kill ya, but YOLO you know?

For me, it would be the manual V10 Audi R8 because I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,135 Posts

V12 Vantage manual trans. Might even be able to own it for zero dollars when it comes time to sell. Thought it might be hard to sell when I'd have to live in it... ;)

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I draw the line at assassinating my future just so I can buy a depreciating asset (although I won't lie, I have been looking wistfully at GT350s, M2 Competitions, and Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglios), I already did it. My SQ7 is my YOLO car...for now.

Once we sold the Golf R and realized we could either have two nice cars or for the same monthly outlay, one kickass car - COVID hit and the decision was made for us

Haven't regretted it for a minute.

Reactions: x(why)z

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,823 Posts
Probably a Pista

But honestly I would be just as happy with a newer 4.0 GT3. In fact I might even like it more because I wouldn't be paranoid about taking it anywhere, or rock chips etc etc - Meaning I would actually enjoy driving it more.

Or maybe some wild Huracan, Performante or similar.

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
789 Posts
Selling my btc/other assets and investments for a car? Killing my nest egg for a hardcore yolo, now I'm single decision?
UGR Huracan. If I'm running from my problems, better do it as fast as possible.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,790 Posts
I actually had this conversation with my wife last night (jokingly of course). We're in contract to buy a hosue right now OR.....my favorite vintage car is the BMW 328 and I've watched this particular example race at Laguna/Sonoma and driven along with it on the Colorado Grand. Turns out it's coming up for auction tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,592 Posts
I think I yolo'd already and that is fine. I don't see myself stepping up to anything else. I got the truck new in '16 and had the supercharger and exhaust added before it left the dealer. Suspension, brakes, rear end all came a little later. The ZL1 I just got in September. It is a '18 and had less than 10k on it when I bought it. It is Chevy certified when I bought it and I don't have many plans for it. They are very expensive to mod and the car is already more than I need. So now I just enjoy them and try to keep them clean, lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think I yolo'd already and that is fine. I don't see myself stepping up to anything else. I got the truck new in '16 and had the supercharger and exhaust added before it left the dealer. Suspension, brakes, rear end all came a little later. The ZL1 I just got in September. It is a '18 and had less than 10k on it when I bought it. It is Chevy certified when I bought it and I don't have many plans for it. They are very expensive to mod and the car is already more than I need. So now I just enjoy them and try to keep them clean, lol.

View attachment 63623 View attachment 63624
Humble brag is humble.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,823 Posts
Probably a Pista

But honestly I would be just as happy with a newer 4.0 GT3. In fact I might even like it more because I wouldn't be paranoid about taking it anywhere, or rock chips etc etc - Meaning I would actually enjoy driving it more.

Or maybe some wild Huracan, Performante or similar.

Actually, thinking about this some more, option 1 would be a Singer, and something like a G550 for a daily.

Then any of the three above.

·
Registered
2020 GTI, 2016 GSW (Wife)
1,289 Posts
This isn't necessarily my ultimate dream car but it's up there. And if I were pulling the trigger this weekend I could realistically buy something like this if I max. out a line of credit and/or a CC.
Based on the fact that I have no garage, and a my driveway has no room for a third car, it would require storage. I also have a 5yo and 18mo kids. Spending foolish money is not a wise idea right now.
Hell, I'm surprised that my wife had no qualms about me getting the GTI over a base Golf. So rolling up in this would definitely instigate a...discussion. 😁

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Another thread is aghast at grabbing money from your 401k to buy a car (as we should) but lets you want to say "Fudge it!". What is your realistic YOLO car?
Assuming after penalties and taxes you will have enough cash to YOLO! Otherwise, it would be really sad if you don't.

·
Registered
45,020 Posts
A 911SC. Sure, I prefer a longhood, but between the reliability, galvanized sheet metal, and lower cost of entry an SC is a much smarter buy. I could've done it pretty easily before we decided to pull that money and pay off the house. In a few years when our nest egg has recovered (once that's done we'll have no bills at all right now other than utilities and taxes!) I should be able to rethink a daily driver and "fun" car.

Color concerns me far less than coupe/Targa. Gimme a coupe every time.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,835 Posts
I mean I'd say we're already doing that trying to order a 911, but I don't know when or if we'll get an allocation, and it's not for me anyway.

Full YOLO? A >20' box trailer and one of these:

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,856 Posts
View attachment 63617

V12 Vantage manual trans. Might even be able to own it for zero dollars when it comes time to sell. Thought it might be hard to sell when I'd have to live in it... ;)
Came here to post this. I had planned to buy one of these in 2019, have it for a year and flip it. I still might do it. I was smitten with the one I had for a week.

always wanted an Esprit. I know it's a bad idea. I barely fit.

Make mine an S4S - last of the 4cyl, really big wing, OZ wheels

I kick myself in the ass for not buying one in 2007. Dude was leaving the country, and he traded in a Cortina, and an S4S to the Lotus store I was working at. I wanted both. Couldn't afford either. Now both cars have gone up in value by an amount that would have made owning either a profitable experience. S4S's are seriously cool.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,715 Posts
Already did this--18k miles 997 turbo. I didn't need to cash out any investments to get the car. There's not a car around that I want bad enough to cash out investments and dump all of my money into. If I can't get a car between some combination of cash and/or solid loan terms, I'm out.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,675 Posts

Almost did it a couple of months ago when a clean NH one came up for sale. Checked into and got approved for financing.

While it was doable, was probably more than I can currently stomach for a car that will be in my garage at least half of the year.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts