VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I YOLO'd already, at least for my income bracket.

Bought the STI new.. and built it.
Then bought the GX (used) and now lifted it.

I used to be a banker, then did loan underwriting, and now I'm teaching.
They are YOLO purchases because I've never been in an income bracket to justify a new built STI and a V8 SUV to daily drive.
But YOLO.

It's not that bad.. the STI has been paid off for years, and the GX is only $333/month.
My justification is that, the STI is a one-time purchase to keep forever; and the GX is so reliable that I'm gonna drive it until the wheels fall off.. so it's probably going to outlive me too.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
I'm living my best (car) life now so I'm keeping my retirement intact and am just planning on giving my credit card lots of exercise this year buying parts for my new (to me) Z06. 295 wide tires cost how much?

·
Premium Member
43,456 Posts
This is high on my list too. At a track day I got to ride with the owner in a brand new '07 in white at Watkins Glen once. I'll never ever forget that. I spent literally hundreds of hours driving one in Forza after that.

Crazy thing is with 12 years of progress I think my Cayman is actually faster in most metrics. Doesn't matter, as much as I love it it's not even close to as desirable.
totally, lap times dont mean much to me. a new civic type r lapped suzuka faster than a F40, still would take the F40 over anything else.

·
Registered
2020 718 Cayman GT4 (Miami Blue)
1,365 Posts
Already did my YOLO last year:

Didn't break the bank, but it's partially cutting into my savings potential and I'm just fine with that.

If I were going full lick it, send it, YOLO it'd be between these:
  • Last-gen Viper ACR
  • McLaren 720S
  • GT3RS
"Classics" (older than 5-10 years in my case) just don't do it for me.

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Didn't break the bank, but it's partially cutting into my savings potential and I'm just fine with that.
Now this is a true YOLO. There has to be financial pain involved and judgment from the Dave Ramsey crowd. Nice man

·
Registered
2020 718 Cayman GT4 (Miami Blue)
1,365 Posts
Now this is a true YOLO. There has to be financial pain involved and judgment from the Dave Ramsey crowd. Nice man
No real financial pain though - I'm also about to close on a new house and have a pretty comfortable savings.

Instead of saving every penny I'm spending a portion of it now. Anything more than buying the cheapest, used Civic is cutting into savings potential for that crowd.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,624 Posts
I think for a lot of us older posters on this forum, a YOLO purchase is way different now than it was when we first joined the site. Back then, it would be a YOLO to purchase a new mkIV R32 for ~$30k. I literally would have no idea how I would have paid for the car back then---I made 20k/yr, renting an apt, and no savings/investments. I was living very much paycheck to paycheck. If I bought one back then, I would have been YOLOing for a month until the car was repo'd or until I was arrested for robbing the local Turkey Hill to pay my bills for the month. Now? A $30k car-----or even a really nice $50k in current money mkIV R32 is pretty doable. If I needed to replicate that type of early life YOLO now, it would be something like a mkI Ford GT or 997 GT2 RS---but I don't have a burning desire to own either. I wanted a mkIV R32 in the worst way when they were new.

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I think for a lot of us older posters on this forum, a YOLO purchase is way different now than it was when we first joined the site. Back then, it would be a YOLO to purchase a new mkIV R32 for ~$30k. I literally would have no idea how I would have paid for the car back then---I made 20k/yr, renting an apt, and no savings/investments. I was living very much paycheck to paycheck. If I bought one back then, I would have been YOLOing for a month until the car was repo'd or until I was arrested for robbing the local Turkey Hill to pay my bills for the month. Now? A $30k car-----or even a really nice $50k in current money mkIV R32 is pretty doable. If I needed to replicate that type of early life YOLO now, it would be something like a mkI Ford GT or 997 GT2 RS---but I don't have a burning desire to own either. I wanted a mkIV R32 in the worst way when they were new.
Yes and that's what I wanted to know with this post. What car would drive you (no pun intended) to the brink of ruin or in that circle to some. More than a side eye look from the spouse kind of buy. A more grim view is perhaps you've been given a specific timeline by the doc, what car are you buying this weekend?

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,354 Posts
In 2003 I YOLO'd my way out of a '00 GTI 1.8T and into a 20th Anniversary edition. I got killed on my trade in, wasn't able to negotiate on price as they were "rare" and as you described I was no where near the financial position to realistically make that payment at the time. My credit sucked and the only one that would finance me was Chrysler financial. 😆 I didn't care - I had to have it.

But I found a way to make it happen, at least for four years until I traded it in on a MK5. There were a lot of PB&J sandwiches and some Ramen noodles involved for sure.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It's funny, 6-7 years ago I have all the cars/mods I said I'd ever need to be completely happy...but I still think about the NEXT car! I try to keep perspective but...well, I'm sure most of you can understand on some level...

I'd say 992 911 Turbo. Kinda unexciting, unoriginal, but tell me one thing it doesn't do well? And I can drive it year-round, which is important to me since I probably enjoy driving in the winter/snow most of all.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,624 Posts
Yes and that's what I wanted to know with this post. What car would drive you (no pun intended) to the brink of ruin or in that circle to some. More than a side eye look from the spouse kind of buy. A more grim view is perhaps you've been given a specific timeline by the doc, what car are you buying this weekend?
I go back to the last part of my previous response. In the here and now, there isn't one. There are enough interesting cars I can afford without having to be completely irresponsible with my money--but I've always been a little more on the conservative side. If I was given 8 mos to live? I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the hassle of offloading the car as I approached end-of-life. I wouldn't want to burden the wife with selling it either. What I like to think I'd do is pay a way too much money to rent a bunch of fun cars and have some experiences across the country. Perhaps I'd do some type of Porsche experience or similar from another high end manufacturer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would love a GT3, but require 4 seats. So fastest 4-seater 911 it is then.

Reactions: westopher

·
Registered
741 Posts
I YOLO'd a 2021 BMW M5 last month and have been driving it nonstop. Jumped from a 987.2 Cayman S and couldn't be happier. Test drove E63S, RS7, and Panamera E-Hybrid Turbo S and found the M5 to be best balance of price, performance, tech, and overall satisfaction. The Audi was the most underwhelming of the bunch in terms of driving pleasure. Panamera was the most enjoyable and I could easily afford it but wanted to try BMW instead of Porsche again.

·
Registered
548 Posts
In my current financial state, all I'd be allowed would be a decent Corrado if I liquified everything. Now, if I had a few hundred thousand dollars, it's gotta be a Singer 911, commissioned to my spec of course or one of these bad boys...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Already did this--18k miles 997 turbo. I didn't need to cash out any investments to get the car. There's not a car around that I want bad enough to cash out investments and dump all of my money into. If I can't get a car between some combination of cash and/or solid loan terms, I'm out.
I tried to pull this off last year with the pandemic, but 997 values, especially Turbos seem to be shooting up without limit. There are some many owner, no history cars floating around, but all the good examples are basically unobtanium priced.

... which got me looking at 991s...

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,462 Posts
Import a Euro-market 996.1 GT3 in yellow, preferably.

I love fried eggs and the narrowbody style.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts