VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another thread is aghast at grabbing money from your 401k to buy a car (as we should) but lets you want to say "Fudge it!". What is your realistic YOLO car? Throwing caution to the wind this weekend, what are you buying by cashing out your savings, grabbing HELOCs, and going nuts. Your partner might kill ya, but YOLO you know?

For me, it would be the manual V10 Audi R8 because I'm here for a good time, not a long time.
Porsche 911 GT3 anyway I could get it used or new. Realistically I’m very conservative and would never, but when I was young for my 30th b-day I bought myself a 2004 R32 right off the showroom floor while picking up a fuel filter for my commuter TDI. I drove the hell out of it and sold it in 2017 with 190k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Cash out, sell everything, don't care what I eat tomorrow so long as I had a bad ass car to crash and burn in....it would have to be this:

Would literally have nothing left after buying this. But would I be happy....for as long as the fuel lasted in the tank!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Cash out, sell everything, don't care what I eat tomorrow so long as I had a bad ass car to crash and burn in....it would have to be this:

Would literally have nothing left after buying this. But would I be happy....for as long as the fuel lasted in the tank!
Did account for taxes? The cheapest one of those needs around $86K in taxes alone in my state.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Do mods count? I just decided to void all warranties on my 2018 GTI with full bolt on, EQT turbo, MPI, wavetrac, yadda yadda.
40 years old, prime mid life crisis scenario.

·
Premium Member
18,546 Posts
Ok, so I forgot to put a 308 on my list.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,618 Posts
I tried to pull this off last year with the pandemic, but 997 values, especially Turbos seem to be shooting up without limit. There are some many owner, no history cars floating around, but all the good examples are basically unobtanium priced.

... which got me looking at 991s...
Yeah, prices are definitely on the upswing, though you can still find some reasonably priced if you're ok with miles. But yeah, these aren't the rumored $45k 996 turbo of years past. If you find a 991 that puts a smile on your face and that you can afford, it's a great choice. The thing with 911s it seems is that they transcend years and miles. It's basically about finding one that fits your interests and passion.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46,451 Posts
Top to bottom list:
1964 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS
Ferrari Dino 206GT or 246GT
Ford GT (2006/2006 GT40 reboot, not Mustang GT)
Acura NSX second generation
1963 Corvette Stingray split window coupe
Audi R8 (I like the early ones)

·
Registered
CarTruck, Wagon
10,744 Posts
I spent about a year looking for the right 991 911 (from a T to gts)... wrong options, i just kept missing them, or other side of the country, then covid hit and prices got silly and inventory dried up.

so... when they announced it and order banks opened. Why cram the kids into a small car.

on order, just waiting for the parts. I don't care how old it is, never owned a muscle V8 so checks it off the bucket list.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
35,083 Posts
I'd love a CRV.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Not waiting to one day get some bad news and think I'll have a chance for a YOLO car purchase. So.. every car I purchase for myself is the YOLO

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I've done two of them now. Not necessarily hero cars, but each one was a stretch to buy at the time for various reasons.
I bought a 98 boxster for $1k, that included 2500 worth of parts to repair it. Put it together and drove it for a few years, sold for a little more than I paid. Probably the only P-car I'll ever be able to afford, at least for the foreseeable future.
91 Honda Beat - I had a wad of cash in my hand at the right time and a friend agreed to sell it to me. Also most likely the only time I'd have been able to afford the kei car.
I don't know what I'd buy with a windfall of disposable income, but there's so many great cars to choose from...I'd have a tough time deciding.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda, Ducati
35,083 Posts
Mega Millions is at $970M tonight. If I win the jackpot I will buy everyone in this thread their YOLO car.
Can you buy me two 1997 CRVs? A his and her pair would be amazing.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts