VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
10/10 thread.

Here is my YOLO candidate. As much of a collector car nut I am, I couldn't see spending more than $60 or $70K on a Vegas inspired irresponsible purchase. That said, here it is.

Porsche 928 GTS 5-speed. It's perfect for YOLO. Rare, fast, pinnacle of it's bloodline, the newest one you can get is 26 years old. Look at that shape. For those of you who have never driven one, it's one of the smoothest V8s ever constructed. All the right sounds, including roaring exhaust note with headers and free-flow mufflers.

It's also fiendishly complicated to work on, containing probably 3 miles of wiring, HVAC systems require near total interior disassembly to replace parts, etc. It's a car that could drop a $4K repair bill on you simply because it f**king feels like it. Did I mention electrics? Savvy 928 owners will routinely service the ground points, all 10 of them. That doesn't include the rest of the electrical connectors.

I also don't fit in most of them, at least the US versions with the stupidest sunroof option ever fitted to a car - it's genuinely letterbox sized and that 9" opening it chews up 3" of desperately needed headroom. I'd need to convert one to a hard top if I got one which would probably cost $4,000 to do properly. YOLO.

Dat shape though.....

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Pcar GT3 ...

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,679 Posts
Sorry all. No such luck on the lotto. 😢

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Reactions: burgerbob

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
792 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
I've had fun for the Past couple decades buying and selling $5k to $10k projects.
I kick around the idea of consolidating the project/fun cars into a 911sc.
As much as I'd like the Porsche I know my eye would wander and I'd keep watching CL.

In tune with thread if I were to blow a big chunk of family savings I'd go with a 996 911 GT3. Irresponsible, but not ridiculously expensive and likely won't depreciate.

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,735 Posts
Did it February 2020. Probably wouldn't have if I had any idea of the impact of covid. Glad I did, because I didn't lose my job somehow.

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,515 Posts
Citroen DS. Or a 996T

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
My V70R hasn't been that bad. 172k miles and counting- owned since day one.
Oh mine has been great. I've had mine since 2015, bit a dream car for me back then. Problem is... it's not the easiest car to get rid of when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I bought my YOLO car almost 9 years ago now when I picked up a 2006 Gallardo Spyder in 2012. I owned it for 3 years and while the car itself was a little bit of a disappointment, I had so much fun in that car and made so many memories that will last a lifetime

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I bought my YOLO car almost 9 years ago now when I picked up a 2006 Gallardo Spyder in 2012. I owned it for 3 years and while the car itself was a little bit of a disappointment, I had so much fun in that car and made so many memories that will last a lifetime
Can you expand on the disappointment part?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,809 Posts
I want a manual Carerra GT.

Is that too much to ask for?

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Can you expand on the disappointment part?
I had a C6 Corvette for 5 years prior to the Gallardo. Before I bought the Vette I had never driven anything remotely fast or exciting as a Vette so it blew me away. I had always dreamed of having a Lambo and the Gallardo had 520hp vs. the Vette's 400hp, it revved to 8000rpm, it was mid-engine, I was just expecting it to blow me away in a similar way that the Corvette did. And when I drove it I realized it was maybe 5% faster than the Vette, the fact the engine was in the back didn't really change the driving experience as much as I had anticipated, the engine revving that high was cool sound-wise but it has less torque than the C6 so it didn't actually feel that fast, it weighed more than the C6, the AWD took away some of the steering feel, it was just not that different of a driving experience. Plus the transmission was GARBAGE.

I guess it's less a criticism of the Gallardo and more about diminishing returns, coming from a car like the C6 there is only so much you can do to make a car more exciting, and a car that costs 5x the price (MSRP vs. MSRP) is not going to be anywhere near 5x as much fun to drive.

Reactions: Tommietank

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I guess it's less a criticism of the Gallardo and more about diminishing returns
Thanks for the insight and the reminder about that curve of diminishing returns. I drool over whatever $150k+ car I see that week and imagine myself in it but would I be 5x as happy as my 981 or 10x as happy as my s2000? Prob not. As Spring approaches I really need to remind myself of this concerning new boats :p

·
Registered
757 Posts
Thanks for the insight and the reminder about that curve of diminishing returns. I drool over whatever $150k+ car I see that week and imagine myself in it but would I be 5x as happy as my 981 or 10x as happy as my s2000? Prob not. As Spring approaches I really need to remind myself of this concerning new boats :p
Would totally take a cheap car I know how to push to the limit over some crazy fast supercar that's trying to kill me all the time...

101 - 120 of 124 Posts