VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 641 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I haven't posted anything about this project yet. I wanted to keep it pretty much under wraps until it was almost done. I just fully rebuild my 12v less then a year ago, but I quickly became bored with it. I messed around with the idea of rebuilding my Z-Engineering supercharger but then found a full 24v swap in Rochester New York for a great deal. I sold the charger to a local friend and then made the 16 hour round trip to pick up the engine. Originally I was planning on using the stock ECU and mating the 12v and 24v wiring harnesses together. Then in February I contacted Lugtronic and talked to Kevin about my options using his setup. Once that happened the ball really started rolling. Its been nonstop work since then to get the car ready for SoWo. This will be my first time making the trip to Georgia and Im really excited it for it. Cant wait to catch up with old friends and make some new ones! See you guys next Thursday :thumbup:

How it looked last summer. Build thread here if you're interested.

The start of the swap, First test fit.

Pulling the 12v harness out

Painting the engine

Wiring

Engine back in

A bad cell phone picture but pretty much how it sits now. Still a few things to finish up. Ill have more pictures soon.

See you all Thursday in Helen, Ga :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
wow! wish i was going to SOWO. i still haven't really gotten to see your car in person. VAG fair?

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
the MK4 harness just plugs right in? thats pretty awesome. i really want to do this swap in my car. just gotta find a donor.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Bad ass! I'll see you on Georgia. I'm making a "slight detour" to pick up a buddy in Kentucky. :laugh:

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Fuckyeah! I cannot wait to check it out dude :thumbup:

·
Registered
578 Posts
how are slowing that pig down! More power more braking eh.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys :thumbup: definitely looking forward to showing it off next weekend.

:thumbup: Do the 24vs use the same mounts as the 12vs?
Yes you use the 12v mounts, they pretty much bolt right up to the 24v block. The front needed a little modification to clear the oil cooler and a spacer for one of the starter bolts. I used an 02a trans so that bolted up just same way it would on a 12v.

wow! wish i was going to SOWO. i still haven't really gotten to see your car in person. VAG fair?
Ill be there :thumbup:

the MK4 harness just plugs right in? thats pretty awesome. i really want to do this swap in my car. just gotta find a donor.
No, Im using a lugtronic standalone setup. To use the stock mk4 ECU you need to splice the 12v and 24v harnesses together.

1 - 20 of 641 Posts