VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy an extra key in case I lose the one that I have now. If I did lose my key does it make a difference if I have a valet key as opposed to the master key? If it's not any harder/more expensive to make a copy from the valet key if I lose the master one than I'd rather get that if it's cheaper. Also how much are valet keys. I called a local dealership and they said a master key is around $135. I know I can ask the dealer all these questions, but I wanted to ask around before being sucked into something by the dealer. Thanks

· Premium Member
14,609 Posts
Re: what key should I get? (waker27)

You should include the type of car you are talking about, since this is not a VW forum.
Assuming you are talking about your Jetta, the valet key does not open the trunk.

· Registered
535 Posts
Re: what key should I get? (Chmeeee)

Quote, originally posted by Chmeeee »
You should include the type of car you are talking about, since this is not a VW forum.
Assuming you are talking about your Jetta, the valet key does not open the trunk.

or the glove box, if you lock it.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: what key should I get? (waker27)

I'm talking about my 2001 Jetta. I know that the valet key doesn't do a couple things. My question is basically if I get a valet key and lose my master key will getting another master key be any harder since I have a valet key, not another master key?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.