VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my JE pistons for it and they should be sent out today. I am also doing a 268 cam, TT adj. cam gear, valve springs, balanced bottom end, new valves, a port and polished head (1.8 Digi II 8 valve) and either an AMS chipped computer or a TT chip in the computer. I also have headers, a neuspeed throttle body, tt catback, a hollow cat, a custom made air intake with 3" filter and a modified intake manifold. Finally, what kind of horsepower at the wheels am I looking at with this setup?

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Re: What kind of horsepower am I looking at? (Tattoo Collector)

i'd say 150 tops.
What are your plans for the future of the car? turbo? cause there really isn't a need for JE pistons unless your shooting "juice" or turbo.
thats a whole lot of tear down for a N/A car. imho.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Re: What kind of horsepower am I looking at? (ValveCoverGasket)

yeah 120 whp
and that much torque or maybe more
why didnt you get a 2.0 bottom end???
that would get you more power http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: What kind of horsepower am I looking at? (v_dubguy2004)

To answer the questions of why I am spending so much money. Here we go: I work for a mechanical engineering firm where we work solely with engine development. We build all types of formula, petite lemans and road race cars. We are a WD dealer for JE so the pistons are costing me about half of what it would for the VW pistons. I have a bunch of other cars including my subaru, which is getting some crazy work. (and all the serious money) I need this car to drive the 90 miles to and from work every day. The car now has 150,000 miles on it and the suspension, brakes and tranny have all been replaced. I just want this to be a fun car that I can drive every day. The car will have a lot of work done to it, but all of the stuff I have done myself (including paint and bodywork), I have done it for a fraction of the cost that the normal person could do it for.
I'm sorry if this thread sounds cocky, but I'm not trying to be. I was just curious and figured that I would answer some questions.
I will have dyno numbers when it's done so I will post them up.
Finally, my Subaru should be done by the minute of the summer and the VW will be for sale then, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

·
Registered
458 Posts

I dont get why do you need to ask how much power if your working for a mechanical engineering firm?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What kind of horsepower am I looking at? (NJ_Cipher)

Just curious to find out what other people are getting with this combo so I know what numbers I should shoot for/expect. I guess that I could figure out via formulas for everything (theoretically) what I'll make, but that's boring. I'd rather just have some dialogue with like minded VW people. What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
228 Posts
dude if your spendin all this money on all this stuff you might as well save it and spend it on a swap of some sort....VR 16v or whatever...
but id say round 150 as well for all of that

·
Registered
15,622 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Tattoo Collector »
I'd rather just have some dialogue with like minded VW people. What's wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I'd agree with the guys above and say 120whp. 2L was a good suggestion though. Daniel Adams runs 2.1L Digi with cam and some other work but no serious internals and puts down 176hp at the crank. However, I see your point since you have access to cheap pistons etc.
ABA blocks are getting pretty cheap though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (blackjettaofdeath)

This is much cheaper than doing a swap. I refuse to put a used engine in my car. I rely on this car every day and any 16v with low miles will be a ton of money. This avenue is much cheaper because I would have to redo all the wiring and if I were pulling out a motor, it would not go back into my car without being rebuilt. Every car I own has a built motor. Don't forget, I do all the machining for free and being that I get all the parts lower than your local wholesale distributor gets them for, I make out pretty cheap. I don't mind have only 150 hp considering my Subaru will have at the very least 300 hp, depending on what I do it might be more. I still need the VW to get 30 mpg.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Re: (Tattoo Collector)

well you could've gotten an aba block and rebuilt that
it would give you back some of the low end torque that the cam is loosing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42,473 Posts
Re: (v_dubguy2004)

theres small displacement 16vs out there too. if youre against the 2l for whatever reason. and i know je makes pistons for those. its like putting 4k into a geo motor, sure itll make 50% more power than a stock geo motor, but itll be slow....and itll still be a geo motor.
its cool that youre takin the time to do that and stuff, but you could have grabbed a bone stock 1.8l 16v, freshened it up with new bearings and machine work, and had the same amount of power as your hopped up 8v...and that same 16v with comperable mods as your 8v, would blow its doors off.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (ValveCoverGasket)

I forgot to mention....it is an ABA. I have an ABA out of a 93 or 94 Jetta. I am doing an 83.5 mm piston and I might cut the deck down (if there's enough room to play) to bump up the compression. I know I can do a 16 valve and I have a 16 valve head, but I just dont' feel like messing with the wiring and incurring all that extra expense with fuel rails wiring, hassle of finding an ecu and harness, etc. Not to mention, the extra expense of cams, lifters, valve springs and valves on the 16v. I think this will be my best bet. Don't worry I have a nasty N/A 16 valve coming up in the works for another project. I am going to invest some money into a 91 or 92 GTI. I love the Jetta coupe, but I really like the GTI's.

·
Registered
589 Posts

I just saw a thread last night that covered a 16V swap which retained the Digifant II, everything. I think he just dropped in a 16V complete with transaxle. No report on mad power or anything that I recall, but driveability was said to be good. if I find the thread I will edit this post.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Re: (Tattoo Collector)

Quote, originally posted by Tattoo Collector »
...and I have a 16 valve head...

You wouldn't want to put that on the ABA block unless you were doing some sort of forced induction. The 16-valve head on the ABA yields a compression ratio in the 8.0:1 range, so all that extra airflow capability would go for naught due to the lower MEP.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (CrazyMonkey)

I think what it all boils down to is that I just want to make a quick 8 valve. I like the 8 valve motor and like i said earlier, the car will run better than a 16v and I will be selling it in a few months, so I am not real concerned with making it crazy. I'd rather be able to sell it to someone with the knowledge that everything is redone and the car will run for another 150,000 miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts