VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Golf 1.8T 4speed automatic. As of right now I bought this car for my daughter(1st car) starts driving in a few months.:banghead: My question is if she doesn't destroy it I will get it back when she goes to trade it in on something new. I will give her what trade in would give her.
What kind of horse power and torque can the auto handle safely, I would like to get to around 300 - 400 HP . Or is this kind of power just to much for these trannys and would I have to change to a manual tranny. remember this 2-3 yrs down the road so I have a lot of time looking and acquiring the parts. I want to do all the work my self. AS this car just needs to be a fun car to drive(automatic) cruising around playing. It doesn't have to be asphalt shredding . I have found a few parts( engine, head AWW) for cheep. If I need to do a swap to manual, maybe I need to rethink or find the limit for the automatic. Just thinking about what my options are.:laugh: Don'y know if dirving would be more fun than building it and it run like a scalded Dog.:cool:

·
Registered
456 Posts
The auto trans doesn't like to hold more the chipped levels

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How many auto trannys like to hold 300+hp??

Really?

I can't think of many other than a 727 or a turbo 300, or 2 speed chev trans, none of which are desirable in this day and age. In terms of modern automotive gear a diesel trans could take it but they weigh about half of an mkiv.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
hope you taught your daughter to keep on top of maintenance, the 1.8T even stock are pretty pick about that.

But to answer your question since you have so much time before the car will be modded your best bet is to start looking and sourcing a 02m swap(6 speed swap) for the car when you get it since the autos as stated above can barely hold out on chipped boost levels, you start throwing exhaust, TIP, FMIC, etc and it's not gonna last.

TO realistically get to your goal your talking about a turbo AT LEAST the size of a GT3071R on pump gas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
epwerks has a nice little kit that puts it to about 340(and its local if I needed any help). Its local but I really desire to do it myself(install) it means so much more when an individual themselves do it. Not look how much money I got and how good this shop is. Yeah, she is learning as we go on the maintenance thing. Documented from the 1st owner all the way to 110,000 looked pretty good. hopeful she doesn't crash it, I don't want her hurt, but I really suck at body work. Thanks for the input. If I read into your guy's comments correctly, 250ish and thats ware the problems can begin with the tranny.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I destroyed my old O2J at approximately 300-330whp 300-350wtq. Funny thing is I abused the hell out of it at the track with a 75shot of nitrous and it waited about 2 weeks later to seize up and I was only going 40mph... go figure.:peace:

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I destroyed my old O2J at approximately 300-330whp 300-350wtq. Funny thing is I abused the hell out of it at the track with a 75shot of nitrous and it waited about 2 weeks later to seize up and I was only going 40mph... go figure.:peace:
:laugh:

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I have a 01 GTI 4-speed auto that I have modded within the last 6 months (APR 93 oct tune,ABD intake manifold, TIP, 3" turboback, Forge diverter,N75 race, ported TB, upgraded boost hoses, etc) and lately the trans has been acting funny. Kinda shifting hard and sometimes not shifting from 3rd to 4th. I push the car pretty hard at times and I believe my current WHP to be around 200 or so. I seriously don't think the auto trans would hold up with more than another 50hp/tq.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts