VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten very positive reviews of my Touareg. I've taken 5 or 6 "test rides" with the touareg full so quite a few of my co-workers have seen it. One of them is getting my exact truck and another has cancelled his FX45 order and may possibly buy one. Almost everybody admits VW has a hit, while a couple aren't convinced. They'd rather have a bland, reliable, RX330 at this price point. I don't blame them, VWs aren't for everybody.
One the street I've gotten many looks and http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif . And not just from VW owners, many 911 and Mercedes drivers as well. I got a blank stare from a Cayenne owner, that kind of surprised me, I waved and got nothing back.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Re: What kind of looks and reactions are the new owners getting? (S4inSoFla)

I've had this one for about a week now:

And I've gotten more attention in 1 week than six weeks with the R32. People come up to me in gas stations, at the 7-11, one guy even ran out in front of me driving through this upscale town not far from here. Everyone has been extremely positive about it and always comments that they can't believe how nice it looks in person. Usually they are driving some other luxury SUV when they see this one. I was even pulling out of a mall parking lot when a woman turned left in front of me in a brand new 4motion Passat wagon spotted the Touareg and I watched her eyes get big and her jaw drop - she nearly wrecked her car looking at the truck.
I have also already had an encounter with a Cayenne owner that nearly broke his neck when he drove by me the opposite direction looking at the Touareg. No smile, just a blank expression. I waved as well feeling pretty smug I have to admit...

Anyway, its been fun giving people rides, taking them through the different features, etc. I spent nearly 45 minutes in a gas station parking lot with 4 people one time. VW ought to pay me to do this crap for them.

It's fun and good to see for VW. Next will be the onslaught of people complaining they can't get one in X-color with X-options.
-jamie

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Re: What kind of looks and reactions are the new owners getting? (vwvortex1)

Quote, originally posted by vwvortex1 »
I've had this one for about a week now:

And I've gotten more attention in 1 week than six weeks with the R32. People come up to me in gas stations, at the 7-11, one guy even ran out in front of me driving through this upscale town not far from here. Everyone has been extremely positive about it and always comments that they can't believe how nice it looks in person. Usually they are driving some other luxury SUV when they see this one. I was even pulling out of a mall parking lot when a woman turned left in front of me in a brand new 4motion Passat wagon spotted the Touareg and I watched her eyes get big and her jaw drop - she nearly wrecked her car looking at the truck.
I have also already had an encounter with a Cayenne owner that nearly broke his neck when he drove by me the opposite direction looking at the Touareg. No smile, just a blank expression. I waved as well feeling pretty smug I have to admit...

Anyway, its been fun giving people rides, taking them through the different features, etc. I spent nearly 45 minutes in a gas station parking lot with 4 people one time. VW ought to pay me to do this crap for them.

It's fun and good to see for VW. Next will be the onslaught of people complaining they can't get one in X-color with X-options.
-jamie

That's some pretty funny stuff http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif We're about to go check a Touareg out... I hope we get one!
Did those people at the gas station just randomly come up to you and ask to see it? Were they just ordinary car owners, or VW enthusiasts?

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Re: What kind of looks and reactions are the new owners getting? (brent0226)

I would have to say that by and large they are *not* VW owners. I had one guy with a Passat wagon, but otherwise they all owned other brands.
I am honest with them as well that VW's aren't for everybody and that German cars can be quirky to own - the X5 and ML owners usually nod and smile knowingly.

·
Registered
94 Posts

What color is that? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Re: What kind of looks and reactions are the new owners getting? (mikegold)

Quote, originally posted by mikegold »
What color is that? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Wheat Beige

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

VW ought to pay me to do this crap for them.

-jamie

Don't they? I'm kidding, I know VWVortex has no affiliation with VWoA. They really should pay for your bandwith behind the scenes, though.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

At training, we got to take apart alot of the interior panels of the Touareg. It's so funny that beind almost every panel, there is a Porsche logo along side the VW emblem. I'm sure Porsche owners won't be thrilled about that.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Very nice color http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
57 Posts

your pic is exactly what I have ; Wheat / Pure Beige V8 Prem Pkg. 19's
SWEET! I think people are going to be very surprised how nice the wheat beige looks in person
BTW I have been stopped at stoplights, Costco, parking garage @ work, grocery, guys at outdoor sports store(loved it) etc etc. Everyone scratches their heads that it is a VW. Have had NO negative reactions.

Modified by thurstonh3 at 2:17 AM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

-jamie

Jamie, did you buy the Touareg you are driving? If VW loaned you one then the crap goes with the territory. If you need a break give me your Touareg for a few weeks.

If people are going to spend 35-50K for a Touareg they should be able to get the colors & options they want. These same people should be patient and willing to wait to get what they want. By the same token VW should not make a customer wait 6-9 months to give them what they want. Fantasy Land, I know, but a person can dream, eh?

Modified by charlier at 11:23 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
51 Posts

Damnn it..,
i gotta go check my bank account...see if i have enough cash to get this baby.
Or maybe.....hmmmmm,
i think i could do something with that Rav4 parked on my drive way...hhhmmm.
will somebody get me a calculator!..i got some trading process to do here..

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: What kind of looks and reactions are the new owners getting? (ReyvieS)

Our dealership is located in the Upper NW part of DC. There are lots of uppity rich snobs in high end BMWs and Mercedes (especially SUV's).... on a few occasions in the last few days, people on Wisconsin Avenue (the main thoroughfare) have almost wrecked there MLs and X5s to get into our lot when they saw the Touareg out front.
People walking by also stop a lot, turn look, stop walk back up and start touching to handles and looking really
, and then they come in and ask for a brochure.
They also were talking about the Touareg on a morning radio show this morning, the guy was impressed with the touaregs "hydrolics"

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: Why??? (jditom)

Quote, originally posted by jditom »
Why should the Cayenne owner wave back he just spent 20-35k more for almost the same SUV!

Hahaha, Cayenne owners got 0wn3ed

I think most Touaregs in SoFla have already been sold. I expect the second batch will disappear as quickly, and the third, and so on
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
22 Posts

Had a few people stop me and ask about it --- and have overheard some poeple talking about it when I was walking away or toward it.
Two best stories so far are the two guys in new SUV's (one MB and one Sequoia - each separate conversations), who both were complaining that they should have waited until the Touareg came out because the interior and exterior looked so much better than their's...
The young kid driving a new Passat that almost broke his neck and crashed at the same time trying to get a better look was pretty funny as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts