VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some oil for my 2007 VW Passat? Just to fill it on occasion. I have gotten it in the past & I think the manufacturer recommends 5W-40, right? Or can some other kind be used? Does the brand really matter as well as I see different ones; Castrol, Shell, Mobile1, etc.

·
Registered
482 Posts
As long as its synthetic and meets VWs 502.00 specification (it will say if it does on the back of the bottle). Manual says 5w40, but the Bentley manual says 5w30 or 0w40 can be used if 5w40 isn't available. I cant find 5w40 anywhere in the capitol region for some reason so I use 0w40, either Castrol edge (formerly Syntec) or mobil1

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat 2.0T, 1994 E36 M3 3.0L, 2004 Silverado Z71 5.3L
1,818 Posts
Oil... this is an area I know a fair bit about and sometimes geek out about. Surprisingly not in a geeky mood though so I won't write a thesis on oil right now. The really short version is you're generally advised to run full synthetic oil meeting VW 502.00 spec approved. The tricky part is the full synthetic part because all these companies have all kinds of sneaky names they come up with to make it sound like it is a full synthetic BUT unless it literally says "full synthetic" or "fully synthetic" it is NOT. If it is says "...synthetic technology" it is a synthetic blend not full synthetic. To be technical, there are synthetic blend (group 3) oils that are great, maybe even on par or better than some full synthetic (group 4) oils, but that's hit or miss. The surefire way is to just get a good fully synthetic oil and call it a day. Don't bother with additives like ceratec or whatever. You just need a good fully synthetic changed every ~5k miles and and OEM oil filter and that's that. Everyone pushes whatever brand they use but when you're talking group 4 oils you're splitting hairs to some extent because they are premo quality. I've run them all and if I had to pick I'd probably throw my hat in for Liquimoly Leichtlauf High-Tech 5W40 (https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-23.../dp/B00LIC29H6). That's the full synthetic version. Watch out there is a synthetic blend version they sell now, not as good. Redline and probably Motul would be my other top picks. Not and Amsoil fan, for reasons not worth getting into, and I didn't feel that the rest of the big-name oils competed with the latter 3 oils I said I prefer.

Now if you want bang for you buck then I'd pretty much say that considering that the M1 at Walmart is almost half the price of some of those other oils it is EASILY the best value for money. It's not a better oil, just a better value and a pretty darn good oil still. In my experience and many others it is pretty close to the Liquimolys, Motuls, etc. The only thing to keep in mind is that it has a tendency to shear pretty fast so definitely don't stretch your OCIs past 5K. I'd say shoot between 4-5K. Also, while it's usually a good idea to keep a spare 1L of whatever you're running in your trunk to top off here and there, that is especially true of the M1 for most people. Seems that I and many others find that M1 burns off on these platforms at an accelerated rate (more so than is already the case for the FSI/TSI). Finally, my motor is noticeably louder (but probably only b/c I'm very attuned to that sort of thing) on M1 than one, say, Liquimoly. Not a deal-breaker but still not something I like.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The Castrol is a good choice at a value price, that is currently the oil my local VW Dealer uses for oil changes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm one of those people that uses Amsoil. I use their European 5w40 and change the oil every 10K or 1 year, whichever occurs first. Never needed to add any oil between changes. Other synthetics may be good but I don't like the truth stretching when some companies change the formulations but label the product the same.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
thanks for the replies. I might get the Liqui Moly on Amazon as pointed out. I see some others on Amazon and wondering how each might be. How about these:

Shell Rotella
https://www.amazon.com/Rotella-5500...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QZVKX57YQHVQNZ3DHCE7

Castrol 0W-40
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGQLZSU/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I'd use the German Castrol 5W-40 if I was gonna use Castrol. If I was gonna use Castrol I'd just use the M1 though, same price point and as good or slightly better. Assuming you mean Rotella T6. Haven't used it but always hear good things. Unfortunately though hearing and seeing are different and I've yet to see lots of analyses backing of the praise of T6; however, full disclosure, I haven't exactly gone looking for said analyses so they very well may be out there but I just haven't seen them. If I recall correctly, Rotella T6 is technically a diesel oil and that means it is designed with diesel particulate filters in mind. Any oil designed for diesels is low-SAPS. SAPS is an acronym for "sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur". These are some of the additive packages that allow for higher lubricity and lower friction. Diesel particulate filters cannot handle mid or high SAPS oils and thus have low-SAPS. A petrol motor can handle mid to high-SAPS oils and, therefore, there is no reason to limit yourself to a low-SAPS oil which have inferior characteristics (generally speaking).

The LM I referenced in my previous post is often $35 for 5L and $10 for 1L which is $10 more than M1/Castrol for the 5L and about the same for the 1L. At that price point, it's my opinion that it's a no-brainer to get the LM. A 5L and a spare 1L if you need to top off between changes (although depending on how much oil your engine burns the extra 0.5L left in your 5L jug after oil change will be enough to get you to the next change). At $35 per 5L that's right in the middle of M1/Castrol and more expensive full synthetics like Motul/Redline/Amsoil. I think that's a good middle ground. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'm one of those people that uses Amsoil. I use their European 5w40 and change the oil every 10K or 1 year, whichever occurs first. Never needed to add any oil between changes. Other synthetics may be good but I don't like the truth stretching when some companies change the formulations but label the product the same.
10K oil change intervals (OCIs) are not a good idea if you want the greatest longevity possible out of your motor, no matter what VW says. VWs 10k OCI movement is just that, it's a response to the times. People don't want to be bothered to change their oil or do any servicing/spending of money on their car, so if they can trumpet less frequent OCIs, etc. then they will. It's marketing. Well partly. It is true that modern synthetics are capable of lasting longer and affording longer OCIs, true. And that is what VW would point to. But just because those oils CAN be stretched longer than oils of yesteryear does not mean they SHOULD be. It doesn't mean they will be performing just as well at their job at 10k miles as they are at 5k; you can be absolutely certain they are not. Additives break down over time and there is a big difference seen between 5K and 10k. Take M1 for example; good oil but it shears fast, the additives don't last so long. Good oil on a 5k OCI analysis but I bet it'd look quite mediocre at 10k. Better oils may be better off at 10k than M1 but not as good as they were at 5k. It's just natural. That being said, if you want your motor to last as long as it can then don't stretch your OCIs. Consider 5-6k OCIs a priority. If, on the other hand, you only plan to have your car a few years and will prob sell it at some point in the not too distant future then, eh, you can probably get away with 10k OCIs until then w/o issue.

Last tip: if you change your oil yourself make ABSOLUTELY certain you use an OEM Mann filter. DO NOT use whatever Fram, M1, or whatever brand filter they have at your local autoparts store. The proper Mann filter can be found on Amazon for ~$10. This one is for the FSI/BPY platforms. I don't know about the TSI or other platforms off-hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-...rd_wg=PN9m4&psc=1&refRID=Y1W9TBD3VSPJVN2377WF

·
Registered
240 Posts
5w-30 Castrol full synthetic is what's recommended specifically for the B6, so that's what i use (specifically Castrol GTX Magnatec). it even says "Castrol recommended" on the crankcase cap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
5w-30 Castrol full synthetic is what's recommended specifically for the B6, so that's what i use (specifically Castrol GTX Magnatec). it even says "Castrol recommended" on the crankcase cap.
Except that oil does not meet the VW 502.00 standard. I would not use that oil in any Volkswagen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was checking out oils at walmart yesterday and they had Mobil 1 synthetic 5w40, listed as a diesel truck formula. Scoped out the back of the bottle and no, it doesnt meet VW 502 spec. Looking at the front of the bottle only that one checked all the boxes (weight, synthetic, etc) but you need to read the whole thing carefully.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Mobil 1 0w40 European Formula Fully Synthetic is the one to buy at Walmart if your local one carries it, not the same as what you reference Mobil 1 5w40

The Castrol European Formula you can buy at Walmart is 5w40 Full Synthetic formula

·
Registered
8 Posts
VW approved oils only

Do not use the Diesel synthetic 5w40 oils; they're not VW approved. Typically, I use the full synthetic Castrol or Mobil 1 European Formula's that are VW approved. I've found Mobil1 at WalMart, and both Mobil1 and Castrol at Advanced and AutoZone. I've used 5w30, ow40, and usually, 5w40, but always with the appropriate VW approvals clearly labeled on the back of the bottles.

I change my oil every 5000 miles, even though the manual says 10k miles. The recommended OCI for 2006 Passat's with 3.6's was 5k miles in 2006, and I'm pretty sure they didn't change anything inside the motor for 2007, but the recommended OCI was suddenly 10k miles. Personally, although the oil isn't as cheap as most synthetics, I figure it's cheap insurance against engine problems.

If you're really curious, there are links on the forum about lists of VW approved oils. And if you really want an education, visit bobistheoilguy.com.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts