VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 50% short shift, but my shifter seems kinda long, how do i trim it. Doesn't the shift knob screw on? How do i add threading to the stalk after i cut it? What kind of new knobs do u guys like..

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (alphaDUB)

ttt, I want to know too

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (alphaDUB)

I would assume you could re tap it after you cut it.. though I really don't see the point.. as its already far enough out of the way

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (lyledriver)

if u wanna make your shifter stick shorter all u have to do is cut it in the middle and then weld it back on that's what a lot of people i know do.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (lionheart)

As for shifter knob... standard issue GTi golf ball style. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (lionheart)

hack saw works or a air cut off wheel but the cleanest cut is to use a pipe cutter. you can cut it as low as you want. if you use an aftermarket shift knob with set screws no tapping is needed. but if you must retap is fairly soft metal and not hard at all. well thats the scoop. i highly reccommend as a do it yo self mod. it makes shifting feel more like a car than the truck that u r used to. and as for my preferance on shift knobs..... momo leather grip style so as not to slip when slamming 2nd @ 8000 rpm as you come back down from a 3 wheel at the track.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (16v po boy)

i sport the stock shift knob from my 84 gti (rip) the blak golf ball one in my 91 gli. i would consider replacing it with one of the metal ones from new dimensions but cant see spending that much loot for a knob thats gonna b all cold in the winter to touch... plus this one is kinda sentimental now.
ive had a LOT of knobs on the past 9 cars ive had, most comfy was prob a sparco ball knob, and there DIRT cheap too

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (SeattleGLI)

I use a VW Motorsports knob & boot combo w/ a short shift kit. Why do you want to cut down your shifter? If you take a look at the new M3 & M5 you'll see that their shifters are LONGER than normal. Makes for easier grabbing during speed shifting IMHO.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (allan r)

MOMO Combat in Red

I got it for Christmas one year.. It's the only mod i have !

Kritter

[Modified by Kritter, 12:41 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (Kritter)

I have a tutorial!
<Monty Python>And there was much rejoicing.
Yay.
<Monty Python>
Tutorial is here

·
Registered
586 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (16v po boy)

I wish to refute your evidence.
quote:[HR][/HR]hack saw works or a air cut off wheel but the cleanest cut is to use a pipe cutter.[HR][/HR]​
I tried with a pipe cutter and it was nearly impossible. Use a hack saw.
quote:[HR][/HR] ... but if you must retap is fairly soft metal and not hard at all.
[HR][/HR]​
My hands, and my friends hands beg to differ with you - the metal of the shifter may not be super hardened but it is certainly not soft. Rethreading it took quite a while. (You re-tap holes, you re-thread <technically, re-die> shafts).
Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (Ankh)

aw common ya wus
i used to cut and rethread shifters for people all the time in shop class in school, it only takes half an hour. they gimme thier keys and $20 and when they get out of school at the end of the day they have a shorter shifter. and if anyone wants to do this the factory thread spec is metric 12mm with a 1.5 pitch
its easiest to do if u remove the center console, seems like a lot of work but u can get a bigger die wrench in for more leverage this way. after that, cut with a hacksaw as straight as possible. then file a 45 degree bevel the whole way around the cut to make rethreading it easier. and lastly thread the shifter, use a tapping fluid to make it go easier and if u dont have any WD-40 or similar oil will suffice. now clean up all your metal shavings and put your car back together and go have fun.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (gti1497)

For all you aftermarket shift knob people: If you have a stock leather covered knob that you want to get rid of, I'll take it!! thanks

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (Spinne16v)

I agree with everything gti1497 said about the mod, except I prefer to use a pipe cutter. All you've got to do is spin it....almost no force required to do the cutting
Ankh, you wimp

WD-40 is what I used when cutting the new threads, and the M12x1.5 is the same size as your lug bolts, and the rear control arm bolts, as well as a few other things!
It is harder to cut the new threads in, and I know some people have held the shaft with a rag and vise-grips while running the die over the shaft, but mine cut fairly easily.
I took 2.5" off of my shifter, and stuck on my 81 Rabbit Diesel shifter knob.
It is cool for a few weeks, but then you get used to it. But for free, you can't really beat it.
Broke

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (Broke)

if you want to cut the shifter shorter, go ahead and do it, and instead of trying to rethread that shi t, just buy a momo shift knob or something because you dont need any threading for that, it is attached by an allen screw...
my setup is a 50% short throw, weighted rod, momo knob and momo boot, with stock shifter length BTW

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like / how do u cut down shifter stalk (Ankh)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have a tutorial!
<Monty Python>And there was much rejoicing.
Yay.
<Monty Python>
Tutorial is here[HR][/HR]​
Monty python is the sh!t

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like

The shorter stick looks cool but it doesnt work. We dont drive a 944 with the tranny tunnel above hip level, we drive an A2. The stick is already kinda far away as it is.
IMHO...
anyway, I just got the kamei golf ball. It shortens the stick by about 3/4" or so due to the thread depth. The feel is great but it smells like latex

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like (Tarmac)

I like the knob that came with my EMPI short shifter for my old rabbit. It is just a plain black ball but feels good when you shift. I prefer it to the MOMO one that came with the car.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Re: what kind of shift knob do you guys like (yellow68)

momo air race leather.
Have it in both of my rides http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts