VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what makes an srt-4 sound like it does?

23K views 167 replies 80 participants last post by  6cylVWguy 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Re: what makes an srt-4 sound like it does? (shftat6)

yea, i understand that, but i am looking for a more detailed answer
like...
why doesn't a turbo k20 honda sound like that with no muffler?
both are 2.x liters, no mufflers, and turbo.

#8 ·
Re: what makes an srt-4 sound like it does? (the_marcus)

ive noticed that cars whose heads breath well or have more valves tend to make a higher pitched sound. i dont know how many valves the Honda motors have but that could play into it. also, the path that the exhaust takes also plays into it. i dont know how it would affect the sound, but the srt4 is not supposed to have 2 tips. rather, the tip on either side of the bumper is a result of a single muffler on the driver's side that has extra piping to extend to the other side of the car.

#11 ·
Re: what makes an srt-4 sound like it does? (jbell)

Take a read from this old thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1550889
Pay particular attention to Obin's responses. They'll give you a general idea of what could be influencing the sound of the SRT-4 vs. other turbo'd 4 bangers (synopsis for the lazy: your intake set up will make a big difference in the sound of your exhaust).
Hope that helps.

#13 ·
Re: (lagunaroone)

Quote, originally posted by lagunaroone »
Burble. Not having a CAT or muffler. Theyre just neons. it does sound mean though!

They have cats and a resonator, and like you said no muffler. I know the engines in them (and PTs) run fairly rich, maybe that causes the popping noise?

#14 ·
Re: (SoCalGT)

Quote, originally posted by SoCalGT »
I think SRT-4's sound awesome, very distinct and totally awesome.

x10
very badass. the exhaust alone makes me want one, not to mention the 240hp and decent handling. Give me an acr with a cage please! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Dodge did it right imo.

#15 ·
Re: (SpeedyNSLR)

Quote, originally posted by SpeedyNSLR »

They have cats and a resonator, and like you said no muffler. I know the engines in them (and PTs) run fairly rich, maybe that causes the popping noise?

ding ding ding...a rich running condition cause the backfires or small popping noises. my car does it without the maf unpluged cause the car dumps fuel in a 'safer' / richer fuel trim.

#19 ·
Re: (inneedofafastcar)

Quote, originally posted by inneedofafastcar »
I soon will be getting a turboback for my car. so if i wanted it to sound better should i get the resonator and no muffler My friend has the same one without a resonator and i dont like the way his sounds

You may not like the way it sounds with a resonator and no muffler. One thing to remember about the SRT-4 is that the factory exhaust doesn't exactly take the simplest path to exit the car. Although the SRT-4 has no mufflers, Dodge had to take some measures to quiet things down a little. In the pic below you'll notice the 2 resonators, and the single pipe that splits into a y before doing a few twists on the way out to the back. A lot of the aftermarket catback exhausts for the SRT-4 actually use mufflers, since a muffled system taking a simpler path will flow better than the setup below.

Modified by SMG at 8:26 PM 9-27-2006

#20 ·
Re: (SoCalGT)

Quote, originally posted by SoCalGT »
I think SRT-4's sound awesome, very distinct and totally awesome.

I have the exact opposite sentiment, I think the SRT-T's exhaust sounds like crap, slightly better better then a riced out Civic with a huge fartcan. My next door neighbour has one (had 2 at one point), and I think the exhaust note at idle or the exhaust worble is almost laughable. The fact is no matter how hard you try no 4 cylinder engine is going to have a mean or impressive exhaust note at idle. I'm not saying the SRT-4 is a ****ty car, but that exhaust isn't going to impress anyone who knows what a BMW inline 6 or Chevy V8 sounds like. Heck even the $90k Acura NSX sounded like an Accord at idle.

Modified by OM617 at 5:31 PM 9-27-2006

#21 ·
Re: (REDLINED600)

Quote, originally posted by REDLINED600 »

x10
very badass. the exhaust alone makes me want one, not to mention the 240hp and decent handling. Give me an acr with a cage please! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Dodge did it right imo.

I totally agree. I have 2 friends with them and one has 3in turbo back straight pipe and holy poop does that thing give me goosebumps when he hammers on it. Handling isnt super good esp coming from an SVT focus I'm used to much tigher susp then SRT's have. Still, with alittle work they will handle just as well. I hear alot of negativity about them cause "they are just neons" which is true, but for the dollar, I dont know of a better deal for cheap performance out the box. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#22 ·
Re: (SMG)

Quote, originally posted by SMG »
You may not like the way it sounds with a resonator and no muffler. One thing to remember about the SRT-4 is that the factory exhaust doesn't exactly take the simplest path to exit the car. Although the SRT-4 has no mufflers, Dodge had to take some measures to quiet things down a little. In the pic below you'll notice the 2 resonators, and the single pipe that splits into a y before doing a few twists on the way out to the back. A lot of the aftermarket catback exhausts for the SRT-4 actually use mufflers, since a muffled system taking a simpler path will flow better than the setup below.

Modified by SMG at 8:26 PM 9-27-2006
Thanks, to my next question. Could i then run 2 resonators and no mufflers to hush it down. My friends got no resonator and a muffler (custome job, good work though) and his does not sound deep enough for me. Also i have heard another 1.8t gti with strait pipes and it sounded pretty nice. is there any in between

#23 ·
Re: (OM617)

Quote, originally posted by OM617 »

I'm not saying the SRT-4 is a ****ty car, but that exhaust isn't going to impress anyone who knows what a BMW inline 6 or Chevy V8 sounds like. Heck even the $90k Acura NSX sounded like an Accord at idle.

Err, what's so special about the way a stock I6 Bimmer sounds at idle? I don't recall them sounding ominous at idle, stock.
I'm in agreement in regards to most inline 4s not sounding all that wonderful when it comes to exhaust note, but you're muddying things by veering off and talking about an NSX, which does idle like the DOHC V6 that it is (which an Accord is not).
It has a resonated and muffled factory exhaust system. Rev one and tell me it sounds like an Accord, though.

Modified by 330R at 7:49 PM 9-27-2006

#25 ·
Re: (OM617)

Quote, originally posted by OM617 »
I'm not saying a NSX sounds like an Accord at revs.

Yeah I know, you were talking about at idle, and it doesn't sound like an Accord at idle, either, unless you simply mean the exhaust note itself is muted. You mostly hear the top end of the engine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif With the Accord, you hear.. well, not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.