VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 1.8 tsi has been out for about 4 years now and seems to be pretty reliable. I just bought a 2016 Passat SE with 12k miles and do 15k miles each year on my commute alone. Oil and filter will be changed every 5k miles so I'm hoping to get close to 200k miles out of this car. It's a PZEV model and I live in NJ so a large number of parts have the 15 year 150k mile warranty which was a big selling point for me.

What mileage do you have on your 1.8t and what maintenance/repairs has it needed?

·
Registered
64 Posts
2015 Golf M/T.
I'm almost at 50k miles and I had no problems. There was a recall for a fuel evap issue but it didn't really affect me. Spark plugs will be due soon but I push the engine very often so I guess that's normal.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,723 Posts
So the 1.8 tsi has been out for about 4 years now and seems to be pretty reliable. I just bought a 2016 Passat SE with 12k miles and do 15k miles each year on my commute alone. Oil and filter will be changed every 5k miles so I'm hoping to get close to 200k miles out of this car. It's a PZEV model and I live in NJ so a large number of parts have the 15 year 150k mile warranty which was a big selling point for me.

What mileage do you have on your 1.8t and what maintenance/repairs has it needed?
https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/APL32586.pdf
If your state is a Mandatory PZEV state, then those warranties apply. If you bought a PZEV
in a state that does not require PZEV, then you don't qualify.

I am at 104,300 miles, all highway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your state is a Mandatory PZEV state, then those warranties apply. If you bought a PZEV
in a state that does not require PZEV, then you don't qualify.

I am at 104,300 miles, all highway.
That is impressive mileage. Have you needed any repairs outside of normal wear items? I wondered if the PCV failed causing the RMS to start leaking oil, would the RMS be covered under the PZEV warranty or just the PZEV? I doubt it would.

·
Banned
1,723 Posts
That is impressive mileage. Have you needed any repairs outside of normal wear items? I wondered if the PCV failed causing the RMS to start leaking oil, would the RMS be covered under the PZEV warranty or just the PZEV? I doubt it would.
Over 105,000 now, and no, no repairs.

Just oil changes every 6 weeks, trans oil and filter, 2nd set of tires since bought.
Rear pads, got front slotted and drilled rotors for what that's due.
Cabin air filters, intake air filters, then to the Injen intake.

Needs front end links, which I have, weather NOT permitting...

No major engine or other drivetrain related issues.

RMS; If it is part of the PCV system, PZEV, would be covered that 15/150000 warranty.
SULEV is 3/36000

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

Includes the battery? Huh...

Parts list:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was way off, am up over 120,000 now... Added two more stops to my route...
Need front wheel bearings already. My TDI went 243,000 and they were fine.
Do you DIY all of your maintenance? I'm coming up to the 40k mile mark and want to do transmission fluid/filter change. I have Vagcom, the tricky part seems to be getting the vehicle level on jack stands.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have any of you with higher mileage had to have valves cleaned or anything? Just wondering how these newer DI engines are doing with the common carbon build up issues. So far 38k on my 2016 jetta sport 1.8T and its been a great car.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have a hair over 80k, zero issues with mine, rear main seal did leak early in its life but that was because it was over filled with oil at the factory. It went away after i did my oil change and put in less oil, hasn't returned since. Besides a set of tires and oil and filter changes it required nothing. Sometimes i get a EPC light come on, but it goes away after a restart or reset via OBD tool. It turns out the MAP sensor gets a little dirty with oil residue and causes a erratic readings in boost, i cleaned the sensor with MAF cleaner and problem hasn't surfaced again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mileage

Bought it in January 2018, about 12,200 miles, a little bit high for only 8 months, but now that I see it, I only have about 4 months to go, and I don't think I will hit 20,000 miles, which I usually do. I don't even think I will hit 5,000 miles in three months for the change of oil, this time. I am on vacation, not driving the usual 80 miles, at least, per day. Maybe I will have another 5000 miles to go for the anniversary. That will put it around 17000 miles, which is fine. I see it as closer to the 15000 per year...

·
Registered
959 Posts
bought new 2017 Golf Sportwagen on Oct 31 2016. Have over 57,XXX miles on it. Had problems with sun roof leak and replaced under warranty last year. Just noticed having the leaking sun roof again. Also just had an issue with "Wastegate actuator stuck" over the weekend. Waiting to see what, if anything they will do with it.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I am at about 75k on my 1.8. 14 Passat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2015 Golf Sportwagen with tune just hit 45k. No issues or repairs needed so far. Oil chnage every 5 K and just did tranny oil at 45K.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just hit 50k miles on the 2016 jetta sport 1.8t 5spd. So far still solid, just oil changes and new set of tires. Thinking about doing spark plugs either next oil change or maybe at 60k.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts