VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'm almost at 87k i am hoping shell make it to 200k at least.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have 50k on a tuned 1.8t jetta sport. Nothing but maintenance items. I have been tuned for 20k miles. So far so good (although I dont beat on the car really). I just changed plugs. They were pretty bad. The owners manual calls to do them at 60k, but I'm not surprised the tune ate through them a bit quicker. I will probably do every 20k from here on out. If you're not tuned, 60k is fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
98,600 on my 2014 Passat SE with roof. No issues with the engine. Had the rear main recall done. This car has been rock solid, and has had the least issues of the other 6 V.W.'s I've owned, including my German built 2011 GTI. I use BG products each oil change. BG EPR in oil for 20 minutes at 1200 RPM just to dissolve some of accumulated deposits, then add BG MOA after the oil change. At 1/2 tank of fuel BG 44K to clean injectors. Original wiper blades, but its time to change them.

Changed brake fluid twice, cabin and engine air filters changed twice, trans service with filter, gasket done at 52,000 and will be done again soon. Knock on wood, so far, so good. Original plugs and coils.

·
Registered
34 Posts
179K on mine right now. Almost at 180K. No major issues.

- Oil and filter changes every 5-8K miles. I've used Castrol 5w40 and 0w40, Rotella T6 a few times (*NOT VW 502.00, but the car likes it in the summer months), and LiquiMoly 5w40 (use this in the summer now instead of Rotella), and I always use VW oil filters from the dealer.

- Water pump was replaced at like 30K under warranty, just had to replace the battery a few months ago. Did my spark plugs at 100K, will be doing those again once warmer weather comes around. Plan to do the fuel filter soon as well.

-Still have the FACTORY front brake pads on the car (I know the question was about the engine, but still).

........Long story short, these engines are solid if you keep the oil and filter changed (well mine is anyway). I beat the living daylights out of my engine on a daily basis (frequent full throttle acceleration, several redlines per day, engine braking on hills), and it has held up great. No complaints. It's hard to say if the engine has had any significant drop in power from wear and tear, since I drive it daily. I'd have to get behind the wheel of a lower mileage car to say, but to me if feels just as snappy as the day I got it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

- Oil and filter changes every 5-8K miles. I've used Castrol 5w40 and 0w40, Rotella T6 a few times (*NOT VW 502.00, but the car likes it in the summer months), and LiquiMoly 5w40 (use this in the summer now instead of Rotella), and I always use VW oil filters from the dealer.

- Water pump was replaced at like 30K under warranty, just had to replace the battery a few months ago. Did my spark plugs at 100K, will be doing those again once warmer weather comes around. Plan to do the fuel filter soon as well.

-Still have the FACTORY front brake pads on the car (I know the question was about the engine, but still).

........Long story short, these engines are solid if you keep the oil and filter changed (well mine is anyway). I beat the living daylights out of my engine on a daily basis (frequent full throttle acceleration, several redlines per day, engine braking on hills), and it has held up great. No complaints. It's hard to say if the engine has had any significant drop in power from wear and tear, since I drive it daily. I'd have to get behind the wheel of a lower mileage car to say, but to me if feels just as snappy as the day I got it.
I saw a 2015 GSW for sale in cars.com not long ago with 244k miles for $6k appears high milers are starting to surface.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts

:thumbup:

no work on timing chain or related parts?

I've never had a high mileage chain driven engine. Only belt driven which were replaced at the recommended intervals. Wasn't sure what the consensus was on chain maintenance as these creeped up in mileage.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Very encouraging! What transmission do you have? Did you get any servicing done on it? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
:thumbup:

no work on timing chain or related parts?

I've never had a high mileage chain driven engine. Only belt driven which were replaced at the recommended intervals. Wasn't sure what the consensus was on chain maintenance as these creeped up in mileage.
Nope. No maintenance or work done to the timing chain, tensioners, etc.. I have a friend who works at an Audi parts department. This summer he's going to have one of the techs at the service department open up a part of the timing cover and send a scope in to check for wear and what not. As of right now, I don't have any excessive noise or anything coming from the timing chain area. So I am not concerned with it for now. I've always understood that timing chain wear ("Chain Stretch"), and component wear should be pretty well under control as long as you keep up with oil changes and use good oil.

Very encouraging! What transmission do you have? Did you get any servicing done on it? Thanks
It's got the 6 speed torque converter automatic. I believe VW still used the Aisin 09G automatic transmission in 2014, right?

Either way, No major issues with the transmission. VW reflashed the transmission software when I had it in for the water pump at 30K-ish miles. It made the shift logic a lot smoother. Before the software update, at a complete stop, the transmission would go into neutral, and reengage when I took my foot off the brake to get going again (I read somewhere that it was actually programmed this way to save fuel), and in Drive, downshifts (when slowing down or coasting to a stop) were kind of harsh. This was not present in manual or sport mode. After the software update the downshifting was smoother and it didn't do the neutral when stopped thing.

I actually inquired about servicing the transmission at my local VW service dept. at about 60K miles. I was told very bluntly by the service adviser that the transmissions are sealed and require no. maintenance. He said that the service they were able to do was a simple drain and fill, and that it was very expensive for what it was and a very time consuming process. So I ended up not scheduling it.

I think it's complete nonsense that they don't recommend any maintenance on the automatic transmission. No fluid is "lifetime fluid". I always meant to go back and get it scheduled, but never had the time or means to leave the car there with them for a couple days like they wanted (they offered no service loaner). Next thing I knew, I was at 100K miles...then 150K miles... and so on...

I think I'm going to have it serviced soon though, just a drain and fill. I think flushing is out of the question at this point and will just cause issues that weren't there before. I've recently started noticing after a long day of driving (like 150+miles), when inching along in stop and go traffic, that there is a bit of a harsh downshift, accompanied by a "clack" kind of sound. I think it might be heat related, since it only does it after very long days of driving, when everything would be good and hot, and in stop and go driving.

So to answer your question, I've made it this far with zero transmission maintenance (other than the software update early on), and have had no major issues thus far. But I am planning on having it serviced soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nope. No maintenance or work done to the timing chain, tensioners, etc.. I have a friend who works at an Audi parts department. This summer he's going to have one of the techs at the service department open up a part of the timing cover and send a scope in to check for wear and what not. As of right now, I don't have any excessive noise or anything coming from the timing chain area. So I am not concerned with it for now. I've always understood that timing chain wear ("Chain Stretch"), and component wear should be pretty well under control as long as you keep up with oil changes and use good oil.

It's got the 6 speed torque converter automatic. I believe VW still used the Aisin 09G automatic transmission in 2014, right?

Either way, No major issues with the transmission. VW reflashed the transmission software when I had it in for the water pump at 30K-ish miles. It made the shift logic a lot smoother. Before the software update, at a complete stop, the transmission would go into neutral, and reengage when I took my foot off the brake to get going again (I read somewhere that it was actually programmed this way to save fuel), and in Drive, downshifts (when slowing down or coasting to a stop) were kind of harsh. This was not present in manual or sport mode. After the software update the downshifting was smoother and it didn't do the neutral when stopped thing.

I actually inquired about servicing the transmission at my local VW service dept. at about 60K miles. I was told very bluntly by the service adviser that the transmissions are sealed and require no. maintenance. He said that the service they were able to do was a simple drain and fill, and that it was very expensive for what it was and a very time consuming process. So I ended up not scheduling it.

I think it's complete nonsense that they don't recommend any maintenance on the automatic transmission. No fluid is "lifetime fluid". I always meant to go back and get it scheduled, but never had the time or means to leave the car there with them for a couple days like they wanted (they offered no service loaner). Next thing I knew, I was at 100K miles...then 150K miles... and so on...

I think I'm going to have it serviced soon though, just a drain and fill. I think flushing is out of the question at this point and will just cause issues that weren't there before. I've recently started noticing after a long day of driving (like 150+miles), when inching along in stop and go traffic, that there is a bit of a harsh downshift, accompanied by a "clack" kind of sound. I think it might be heat related, since it only does it after very long days of driving, when everything would be good and hot, and in stop and go driving.

So to answer your question, I've made it this far with zero transmission maintenance (other than the software update early on), and have had no major issues thus far. But I am planning on having it serviced soon.

Thanks for the info.. Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts

thanks for the info about the chain...

Does your manual not show auto trans service at 50K? Mine does.

I would check with a different dealer on the transmission service. Drain and fill isn't that difficult. My local dealer who is always overpriced, charged $275 for a drain/fill, by comparison they charge $400 for DSG fluid change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The manual calls for a 50k mile service on the automatics. It's true that the fluid is replaced via a simple drain and fill, but there's a filter that can be replaced also. I just ticked over 100k and have serviced the transmission twice. Local shop only charges me $100 for labor and I just supply the fluid, filter and gasket myself.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The manual calls for a 50k mile service on the automatics. It's true that the fluid is replaced via a simple drain and fill, but there's a filter that can be replaced also. I just ticked over 100k and have serviced the transmission twice. Local shop only charges me $100 for labor and I just supply the fluid, filter and gasket myself.
The 09G aisin autos are using same “lifetime WS” fluid as most modern Toyota’s which are group 3 synthetics. You can buy these WS pretty cheap at Toyota dealers if you don’t feel like paying VW prices. Full list price on this is $9.97 if any of you local SoCal guys want some I could hook you up on some at the dealer I work at.

·
Registered
637 Posts
2014 Jetta 5 speed over here. Bought her a year ago with 70k km (45k miles) and now at 110k km (70k miles). Not a single problem with it fingers crossed!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just hit 50k miles on the 2016 jetta sport 1.8t 5spd. So far still solid, just oil changes and new set of tires. Thinking about doing spark plugs either next oil change or maybe at 60k.
At 64k miles now, did an inspection, changed air filter, cabin filter spark plugs, oil and tire rotation at 60k miles. Wife is still averaging 36mpg+ with her commute (75% highway) car is still solid. Might be almost time to replace shocks/struts, feels slightly floaty, then again I am used to driving a Short wheel base 4wd pickup or c4 corvette, so compared to those most things will feel that way :laugh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
2015 2 door Launch Edition 1.8TSI manufactured in April 2015, purchased Sept. 11 2015 with 6 miles on it. As of today almost 35K miles without single problem.
After first free oil change at dealer now on WM Super-Tech 0W20 SN Plus with 1/4 cup of Hyper-Lube with WIX WL10024 oil filter. Extended Period varies between 47.3 and 48.1 MPG on Maverik 87 clear gas. Few mods, VWR springs, dogbone, Afe dry air filter and wiper delete for $1.54 from hardware store. Never took it past 3000 RPM yet. Great car and hope it serves me well for many years to come. Nice to hear from you people and your great experiences. Gives me faith that I made the right decision even tho some people told me when I bought it that I made a mistake due to VW poor reliability and high maintenance cost. Got the feeling that I'll prove them wrong.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
0W20 oil, what do you think it is a Prius? Take it above 4-5K once and a while, feed her some dinner.

Also kudos on 35K in 3-4 years that some low miles. 36K on our '17 Alltrack.

·
Registered
104 Posts
2015 2 door Launch Edition 1.8TSI manufactured in April 2015, purchased Sept. 11 2015 with 6 miles on it. As of today almost 35K miles without single problem.
After first free oil change at dealer now on WM Super-Tech 0W20 SN Plus with 1/4 cup of Hyper-Lube with WIX WL10024 oil filter. Extended Period varies between 47.3 and 48.1 MPG on Maverik 87 clear gas. Few mods, VWR springs, dogbone, Afe dry air filter and wiper delete for $1.54 from hardware store. Never took it past 3000 RPM yet. Great car and hope it serves me well for many years to come. Nice to hear from you people and your great experiences. Gives me faith that I made the right decision even tho some people told me when I bought it that I made a mistake due to VW poor reliability and high maintenance cost. Got the feeling that I'll prove them wrong.

The engine has never seen more than 3,000 RPM? :what:

·
Registered
552 Posts
70k on the 2016 jetta sport 5spd. The output seal on the transmission is seeping a little on the driver side. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 66 Posts