VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i want the car chipped and i want a new exhaust. all suggestions welcome as i am trying to learn more about my car and what i can do since there are many different things i can do. all prices that you guys know w/ labor included would be appreciated. i also am curious how much HP i would gain with my stock GLI chipped and how much i would gain with a turbo back exhaust. Thanks to all

·
Banned
10,808 Posts
Re: What mods should i do to my 2004.5 GLI , lookin to spend about $2,000 (Bigtym2000)

GIAC Chip - 500
GHL 3in Turboback exhaust - 1000
VDO Boost guage with pod - 75
Hawk HPS pads - 200
EIP SS - 100
Those are rough price and you might have enough for a rear sway bar. You'll be set

But check out the 1.8t forum and read around before you blow 2k on parts that you might really regret down the road.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Re: What mods should i do to my 2004.5 GLI , lookin to spend about $2,000 (Hetzen)

Quote, originally posted by Hetzen »
GIAC Chip - 500
Hawk HPS pads - 200
EIP SS - 100
Those are rough price and you might have enough for a rear sway bar. You'll be set

But check out the 1.8t forum and read around before you blow 2k on parts that you might really regret down the road.

The only change I think I would make is dont get the brake pads, instead get a CAI, DV, and most likley a new N75 because with the chip you will probably get some surging. But other wise those are really basic good mods to start with. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 4UTURN at 10:47 AM 7-19-2005

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Re: What mods should i do to my 2004.5 GLI , lookin to spend about $2,000 (Hetzen)

I'd get pads to save your rims. O and a lot of wax to keep the break dust from sticking

To each his own depends which way you are trying to go.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts

GIAC Chip - 500
Hawk HPS pads - 200
EIP SS - 100

I've had GIAC (old car) and now APR for chips and love them both...so for chips, its up to you. I would get a boost gauge before ANY mods on a 1.8T though. A friend of mine has Hawk pads and they squeel like a chalk board...but I think he has the race pads, not the street pads. As for SS I absolutely LOVE my B&M. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif It's not notchy like some of them I've had (C1VW, Dieselgeek, TT), looks great w/ the other aluminum pieces in our cars and works like a charm. Only thing about that one is I believe its the hardest to install since it replaces a lot of the components, not just on the tranny. Well worth the money and effort though.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Re: What mods should i do to my 2004.5 GLI , lookin to spend about $2,000 (4UTURN)

Quote, originally posted by 4UTURN »

To each his own depends which way you are trying to go.

I think I'd go the keep my wheels clean and get better stopping performance before I got the "all show no go" possible hydro lock CAI

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Re: What mods should i do to my 2004.5 GLI , lookin to spend about $2,000 (SuckerPunch)

don't get a CAI unless you just want one for the sound. I just got one and it did absolutely nothing for power gains. I really feel it lost power. Definitely lost some low-end.
If you are going with a GIAC chip you might want to consider a 2.5" DP instead of the 3".

·
Banned
10,808 Posts
Re: What mods should i do to my 2004.5 GLI , lookin to spend about $2,000 (jedimindcontrol)

Quote, originally posted by jedimindcontrol »

If you are going with a GIAC chip you might want to consider a 2.5" DP instead of the 3".

I'll meh on that but I got nothing to back me up

·
Registered
4,084 Posts

I'll meh on that but I got nothing to back me up

Yeah, I know I always get flamed for that comment but it seems everytime someone gets X+, then complains about surging, they are running a 3" DP.
GIAC (and alot of tuners) recommend 2.5" so thats what I go by. Nothing written in stone...just a recommendation.

·
Registered
813 Posts
ghl turboback exhaust: 855$ at
pro-imports.com
Forge "a line" 007 diverter valve: $145 at
ecstuning.com
N75 race valve: $70 at
ecstuning.com
4 bar FPR: $60 at
ecstuning.com
BMC carbon dynamics airbox: $255 at
evolutionsports.com
(no hydrolock feelas)
revo stage 2 software: $550 at
pro-imports.com
revo SPS1: $200 at
pro-imports.com
Price: $2135
Look on your face when you hit the gas:
PRICELESS!!
crank hp: 227-237 bhp
crank torque: 255-266 lb. ft

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.