VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i know this has been asked a billion times before, i still kinda dont get what oil to use... i have about 156 k on my 8v, 1.8l and it gets driven not much but when i do drive it, i drive it pretty good and hard...right now its making like a clicking noise from my head and i wanna change the oil to see if it will go away, if not i will go and inspect... and i think my oil pan gasket is bad too so i will replace that too while im at it, would 30w oil work? what about synthetics, ive heard good and bad about these...help please.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Re: what oil? (junglistdubber)

the clicking noise is probably from your lifters. i've heard some good responses to using 15w50, but others will have better ideas. i havn't been able to quiet mine down, so i'm gonna be doing some pretty drastic stuff in the near future.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

I run castrol 10w30, always have always will in my 86 at almost 400000Km (243000Miles) it runs flawlessly, the lifters don't even tick. That is the ticking from your head. to totally eliminate it you have to change the lifters. Don't worry about it does not affect the performance at all. I switched to synthetic on my 87 and the lifters went silent, but now 10000 miles later it is sucking and burning lots of oil so I switched back to castrol 20w 50 added some restore (little silver can) and now the lifters are quiet, but switching to synthetic on my high milage engine was too much. I now need to get the valve seals done http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif in short use any oil, just use the same brand forever, change your oil filter every time you do the oil and if the lifters are driving you nuts try some restore. but that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Mike

·
Banned
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: what oil? (vedubya)

what are some good brands to use? or what do most of you guys use? i bought my car used and the guy who i bought it from is never there, but i want to change the oil, and start using whatever i use all the time... any suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts

My VW mechanic (come on guys... not everyone's a mechanic
.. i don't even have a garage) said that on high mileage engines to use 15W50 and it'll burn MUCH less oil if any at all, if it was previously.
He always uses Castrol as well... I trust him on these things, he knows Veedubs like nobody i've ever seen.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: what oil? (Aaron-A2Jetta)

thicker oils will generally burn less, yes. They won't leakas much into the cylinders and get burned up. WHY you're burning oil is the important question, tho. If you're losing rings, they're going to go eventually and different rings is really your only long term option. If it's the head gasket, well, duh.
and if it's the valves, umm, another duh.

My 8v RD has 218,800 miles on the clock, and with Valvoline 20W-50 (dino, not synthetic) I haven't lost any oil since the last oil change (at 214,900). I'm due for another change, will probably stick with this stuff until I see M1 15W-50 on sale

[Modified by negativl, 8:18 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Re: what oil? (negativl)

I last used Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 on my car and I'm pretty sure it damaged my engine. I'm just not sure what the damage is right now as I got no replies in my last post that contained any technical information.
I'm going to add motor honey or something like that to thicken up the Valvoline 10w-40 I put in the other day. I am really scared of thin oil now.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Re: what oil? (negativl)

are you sure its your oil pan? older vws tend to get a clog up by the pcv, that vent up on the valve cover, remove and soak in gasoline to clean. could be rear, or front, or cam seals. oil is oil yeah the weights are different, and that makes a difference, remember that a thicker oil will take longer to thin out and lubricate properly, causing some scuffage. dont use synthetic in an old motor that never had it, I did, and my leaky seals got worse. but all oil brands (non-synthetic) are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Unless you've used Synthetic since the car was new, don't switch to it. Conventional oil builds up deposit around seals and in other nooks & crannies, and turning to Synth will wash them away, effectively washing away many of your seals. This will let the oil leak into places you don't want it, or leak out of places you want it in.
My mechanic has been working on VW's for over 20 years, so I trust him pretty much, and he's a good guy, never tells me or does anything that would just land me back in the shop. He uses 15w50 for every oil change. I use 15w50 during warm months, and 10w30 or 10w40 in cooler months.
As others have said lifter (tappet) noise isn't harmful and you're not really going to get rid of it unless you get right to the lifters themselves, so oil generally doesn't make much of a difference.
Brand is irrelevant. I have been told that there are only really three motor oil makers, and each brand just buy from one of them, so two different brands may be the exact same oil. I just buy whatever is cheapest.
However, for filters, my mechanic, whom I again trust, said DO NOT USE FRAM. He said that it's rare, but every once in a while they blow up in the VW's because they can't take the pressure. Not something you want to happen.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: what oil? (BCampbell)

I'll agree with everything but brand being irrelevant. There are a couple variations, because oil comes from different sources. Quaker State is Pennsylvania crude, which is so poor they often can't make gasoline out of it, for example.
That said, most dino oils are going to be close enough to use interchangably. I got more nasty sludgy buildup in other cars with Penzoil and Castrol, so I stopped using them. Valvoline has been great and no more expensive than any other brand, so I keep getting it now. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif So yeah, get what's cheap and see if it's okay. one oil change worth isn't gonna kill your car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: what oil? (BCampbell)

in the summer 15w-50 isn't to thick for your car? Can't it hurt if your oil is to thick? I also have the damn ticky ticks its annoying but usually only for the first ten minuetes after startup. I heard restore is good but i have not tried it anyone got any info on it?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: what oil? (idrthrBgolf'in)

not too thick at all, for some areas.
Summer is when you want the highest viscosities, as the heat thins the oil.
There's a table in the Bentley that shows 15W-50 is suitable for a wide variety of temps in the A2, which correspond well to many parts of the US.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Re: what oil? (DagoGLI)

I use Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50 in my car too. I'm real sure my car has had regular oil for 114,000 miles, and I have been using Mobil 1 for like 2 years and maybe 20k miles now, and I have no leaks whatsoever. So who knows, but I think that the extra protection and durablility of synthetic oil is worth it, oil is the most important fluid in the car after all. Synthetic vs. conventional is a big debate
But for viscosity, never use 5-30, VWs run hot and the Bentley reccommends thick oils (thicker than 10-30) for most all climates

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: what oil? (mhjett)

My 260,000-mile '85 GTI(engine never apart, knock on wood), and my 205,000-mile '89 GLI 16V both respond well to 15w40 in the winter, and 20w50 in the summer - Both conventional, no synthetic. The dealer where I used to work in parts used 15w40 for all the VW 4-cylinder engines. When I went to work there, I asked the Master VW tech about a new oil pump for my(at the time) 190K-mile GTI. We suggested trying 15w50 oil, and an OEM filter. The ticking went away, and I still follow the same advice today.

·
Registered
365 Posts

10/30 is waaaay too thin for older motors.....unless you are religously changing your oil you are just asking for problems with lifters ticking. I'd say use 10/30 in a Geo Metro b/c that is what the factory puts in them....as for veedubs 15/40 is ideal when the cars are new but when it nears the age of 10yrs or so I'd say switch over to some good 'ol 20/50 for good lubrication. This is a good winter oil too....good luck....pour whatever oil you want in your car-this is just a little friendly advice!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: what oil? (Golfdrvr5)

Supposedly it has some "Seal Conditioner" to make brittle seals more pliable, helping to prevent leaks, or lessen existing leaks. They don't actually claim it extends motor life, as I recall. Other than that, the claims are like any other Valvoline oil. If it were cheap, I'd try it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to use it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.