VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Re: what ones are hydro lifters and what ones are solid? (tomk1)

Solids are found on anything prior to 85. All 85 and newer are hydro.
Hydros are less maintenance, no shims needed and less noisy.
Solids can rev REALLY high if you so desire, but in real life streetable engines, there's no real reason to choose one over the other for rev issues.
For a solid lifter head, you can use a 1.6 cam to immitate a g-grind. Don't know of any hydro cams that you can substitute like that.
Hope that info is accurate. I'm still learning.
Tim

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: what ones are hydro lifters and what ones are solid? (vwrabbit)

awsome, thanks for the info, is there any way to tell by looking at the engine? (Incase it was swaped or something) are there stamps on the head?

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Re: what ones are hydro lifters and what ones are solid? (vwrabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]Solids are found on anything prior to 85. All 85 and newer are hydro.[HR][/HR]​
That's not exactly correct. Cabriolet's up to 89 (I think) are solid lifter heads. all 87's and 88's were solid for sure but I'm not sure about 89-90.
All mk2's were hydro which I'm sure is where the 1985 date comes from.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Re: what ones are hydro lifters and what ones are solid? (tomk1)

Solid lifter heads have 5 cam 'caps'
Hydraulic heads only have 4, the empty space is an oil squirter.
You can usually switch to a solid lifter head from hydraulic without changing anything.
If you switch to a hydraulic head from solid, you'll have to change the oil pump as well, the hydraulic heads need more oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.