VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a set powdercoated once already, but the color turned out darker than I wanted. I don't want to make the same mistake twice, so if you have had good results with a method/color that resembles the factory platinum silver color of the Speedlines post a pic. Thanks
--Ben--
'93 SLC

·
Registered
673 Posts
Re: What paint method/powdercoat color best matches stock Speedline color? (DIABLO SLC)

An old thread - but I'm wondering about the same thing - so BUMP!

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Re: What paint method/powdercoat color best matches stock Speedline color? (Mawrick)

paint and powder codes DO NOT CROSS OVER. i do powder coating for a living. if someone brings in a paint code to me its useless.
what you need to do is IF u decide to use powdercoating over paint, bring a sample or in this case the wheel to our powdercoater, have him get you a sample chip and make your own choice weather the powder chip matches and you PERSONALLY like it
i would never rely on someone elses judgement on a color between powder and paint. nor if a customer tell me "use your judgement" will i do that either
powdercoating is more expensive the paint (for a good job) so you have to personally make that decision
IMHO

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
i'm going to attempt to redo my speedlines with the dupli-color silver wheel paint this summer. i'll post results of course.

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Re: (needaveedub)

I repainted a set of silver finished wheels that I sold two years ago using Duplicolor wheel paint. They had some curb rash and minor scratches that I repaired first. The silver paint was good but it was the rattle can clear that was a bit off. If I had it to do over again I would have shot the clear out of a gun. But overall they came out good.

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Re: (dogger)

Quote, originally posted by dogger »
I repainted a set of silver finished wheels that I sold two years ago using Duplicolor wheel paint. They had some curb rash and minor scratches that I repaired first. The silver paint was good but it was the rattle can clear that was a bit off. If I had it to do over again I would have shot the clear out of a gun. But overall they came out good.

theres the cheap option. BUT make sure you prep the hell out of them if you are gonna go that route

·
Registered
673 Posts
Re: (Roadhog_)

They will def be powdercoated - I have a friend who does powdercoating - but haven't realy been able to "match" the color yet - and most of the paint have to be bought from the states

Was just looking to see if maybe someone would have any tips on what color/type of powder that would be a good starting point

·
Forum Elder
14,567 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Roadhog_ »
2001. Oldest bump i've seen... 9 years lol.

Seriously. I think the factory paint was still wet on my speedlines when this thread was created.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Roadhog_ »
2001. Oldest bump i've seen... 9 years lol.

That's what you get when one tries to use the search function....lol

I presume my speedlines had wet paint at that time as well....lol...

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Re: (Mawrick)

what powder company are u going to use?
if u decide on tiger drylac i MIGHT be able to help u out

check out centralctcoatings.com

Modified by eurosportgti at 8:11 PM 4-30-2010

·
Registered
673 Posts
Re: (eurosportgti)

it's a friend of mine that will do the coating - so it realy doesn't matter where we get the powder from, so if you got any tips it would be appreciated

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
IMO. u shoud see a sample in the daylight in person before u do or buy anything........

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
WURTH makes an exact match 'spray' paint.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
I had mine powdercoated by a local place and tried to match the color. They look really good, but a little darker and not as "shiny" as the stock speedlines.

I'll try and post some pics. If you're REAL nit picky then I would paint them. I don't think powdercoat is going to look exactly like stock.

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
I had mine powdercoated by a local place and tried to match the color. They look really good, but a little darker and not as "shiny" as the stock speedlines.

I'll try and post some pics. If you're REAL nit picky then I would paint them. I don't think powdercoat is going to look exactly like stock.
i beg to differ......maybe the powder u choose is a little off but there are soooooooooooo many companies out there and soooooooooooo many different powders i can bet u can find a excellent match.

what company made the powder u used? so this guy doesnt get the same one

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Beg to differ all you want. Stock wheels were painted correct? I would think finding a powedercoat that looks exact will be difficult. You also wont know until the wheels are done.

Company is Bonehead Performance in PA. I'll try and find the exact color I used. "Silver metallic" rings a bell.

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
Beg to differ all you want. Stock wheels were painted correct? I would think finding a powedercoat that looks exact will be difficult. You also wont know until the wheels are done.

Company is Bonehead Performance in PA. I'll try and find the exact color I used. "Silver metallic" rings a bell.
yes they are painted from the factory. and NO if u get a sample of the powder on a chip OR i show customers a sample that i sprayed on a 4 by 6 inch chip so they can see before its done. AND by the company that MADE the powder i didnt mean the company that sprayed it for you, i meant the company that actually made the powder.

what im trying to tell u is that there are plenty of ways to see a sample before u actually have your wheels sprayed and arent happy........any REPUTABLE shop should be able to produce an actual sample for you to see before you have them do any coating

and "SILVER METALIC" is a very generic name as far as powder goes, tiger drylac's silver metalic is going to differ from ppg's

1 - 20 of 26 Posts