VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
That is the remains of the small heat shield to protect the inner axle boot from the exhaust manifold heat. It should wrap around the upper part of the cv boot.

Sent from my Nokia 3.4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is the remains of the small heat shield to protect the inner axle boot from the exhaust manifold heat. It should wrap around the upper part of the cv boot.

that's its purpose.... that chunk of plastic. I thought it was so when the boot fails the grease doesn't smoke and start a fire..... or just get in the way when working on the car.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah I think second guys right, definitely not a heat shield but it’s meant to redirect grease in case of a boot failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
that's its purpose.... that chunk of plastic. I thought it was so when the boot fails the grease doesn't smoke and start a fire..... or just get in the way when working on the car.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I can confirm that as mine is currently leaking grease and its keeping it off the engine haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Reactions: Gunning24

·
Registered
2013 Jetta SE 2.5
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes it's a piece of plastic but it is also a heat shield.

Thank you for the part number. I was having a hard time with the diagrams.

100$! Guess il look for a used part.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Thank you for the part number. I was having a hard time with the diagrams.

100$! Guess il look for a used part.
It's $85 on ECS if that matters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts