VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my 5th gear housing and my clutch cable and my clutch push rod which is wore down on one end didnt know if i could flip it or not or if it was wore bad enough to change , i sanded my throw out bearing housing a little because it was turning and wearing the tube down....... my clutch wants to let go at high rpms and *** .... dont know if this will help and if any of these things would caue it to do this and if some one could explain to me how these could cause it to do so..... thanx

Modified by Justbust1n at 6:23 PM 10-30-2007

Modified by Justbust1n at 6:26 PM 10-30-2007

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: What problems will this give me?? (Justbust1n)

That pushrod looks like it has one tapered end, and one end that hasn't been tapered... and both ends should be perfectly smooth and round.
If one end is tapered, you shouldn't flip it. The tapered end goes against the thrust plate at the clutch, the non-tapered end should fit into the TO bearing.
That being said, yours looks flat on the end, so it would need replaced.
The auto adjust clutch cable, aside from costing more and not lasting as long, also can cause the clutch to slip if the cable binds up and doesn't release fully. I'd replace it with the manual-adjust cable available from Adirondack or Potterman and adjust it to VW spec. I have the adjustment specs on the Release Arm page on the site in my sig.
Broke

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: (Justbust1n)

Quote, originally posted by Justbust1n »
how can you tell if the push rod bearings are worn out??? and what do you have to do to replace them??

The pushrod is supported on one end by the TO bearing, it is behind the green end cap on the far end of the trans. You'll need a new green end cap and a TO bearing to replace it. If it is gritty feeling when spun or makes noise, or if you doubt the condition of it, replace it.
The other end of the rod is supported by a bronze bushing just behind the pushrod seal, at the clutch end of the input shaft. You'll need a seal and a bushing to replace it. If the pushrod has any play in the bushing, it is worn and needs replaced.
I have a TO bearing page and a pushrod bushing page on the site in my sig, it shows how to replace them, but it shows it on parts that are out of the trans, or the trans is an empty gutted case, so it won't look exactly like what you'll see, but it is close enough to show you what needs done. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Broke

Modified by Broke at 5:29 PM 10-31-2007

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.