VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,261 Posts
Re: What r signs of a bad wheel bearing and bad ball joints? (JimmPTL)

Jack up the car a little bit and put a pry bar under the tire put one hand on top of the tire and pry the tire up and down if there is play the ball joint is bad. for a wheel bearing with the car jaked up grab it at 3 and 9 and shake it back and forth same thing if theres play its do to be replaced.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Re: What r signs of a bad wheel bearing and bad ball joints? (TommyC83)

quote:[HR][/HR]Jack up the car a little bit and put a pry bar under the tire put one hand on top of the tire and pry the tire up and down if there is play the ball joint is bad. for a wheel bearing with the car jaked up grab it at 3 and 9 and shake it back and forth same thing if theres play its do to be replaced.[HR][/HR]​
Prying under the tire like this will show up a loose strut mount before a loose ball joint. Perhaps if you place the jack under the control arm, that will work. Bad wheel bearings usually make noise long before the become loose enough to feel any play.

·
Banned
5,261 Posts
Re: What r signs of a bad wheel bearing and bad ball joints? (Dr Don Madbug's Dad)

Umm actually on the mcpherson strut assembly the ball joint is not loaded so it doesnt matter where you jack it up but yes you can also diagnos a bad strut bearing aswell.

·
Registered
545 Posts

My passenger side will move from side to side just a little, I guess I should check the way you are mentioning as well.

·
Registered
851 Posts

UMMMM Actually, I have the car on the lift and move the wheel in and out at the bottom to discover bad ball joints! Been doing that longer than you've been alive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.