VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i'm going to the track this weekend. I haven't ever run my car before, so i was curious what RPM is good to launch at. I know everyone will be differnt, i'm just looking for an average RPM. The only mods i have that affect "straight line" performance are magnaflow catback and intake. I'm just looking for a little help. Oh yeah, i've got Hankook Ventus HR II tires, which aren't ultra sticky, but they're pretty decent. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: what RPM do you launch at? (83Rabbit)

yeah, i forgot to mention i have a 2.0. I was thinking about 3K also, is side stepping the clutch the same thing as "slipping" the clutch. I've heard about slipping the clutch at launch, but not side stepping..

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: what RPM do you launch at? (volks98jetta2.0)

now all of you are getting me worried i'm going to ruin my differential. If i launch at about 3K, is this going to screw my s**t up? I've launched at 2300 before and it just spun a little, i really don't want to have to replace somethine like my differential, because if it goes, i'm going to want a quaiffe to replace it, and that, is not in the budget...

· Registered
416 Posts
Re: what RPM do you launch at? (reynolds9000)

i usually rev the ish out of it to the point it sounds like its gonna blow up and kill most living creatures within a 2 miles radius, this scares your opponent and thus distracting him from the tree so while he is hoping you dont kill everyone you will see the green light and drop the clutch at about 79,000 rpm's and run about a 4.29 second quarter mile. at least thats what dominic and the mad scientist jesse told me and i believe him because he has a jetta and he should be going to like mit or something

· Banned
4,638 Posts
Re: what RPM do you launch at? (DubberFromCT)

what is this side-stepping business?
i just ride the sh!t out of the clutch in first gear. you want to be on the brink of spinning your tires, but not actually doing so. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Re: what RPM do you launch at? (peanutbutterwolf)

between 3 and 4 is where I usually launch (i have a VR but thats about the average with all cars). Slip the clutch! Dropping the clutch is only going to help if you have tires that can grip all that torque at once and a LSD to distributes all of it evenly.. But don't just slip it till your clutch starts smoking, just slip it enough that you don't spin. Hold it at the point were you can almost here your tires gripping (its actually the sound of your tires trying to slip). Your going to be fine with your open dif, its not going to hurt it THAT much if at all.. What hurts it is droping the clutch and getting a ****e load of wheel hop.. Good luck bro and let us know how you do http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.